Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - Indian Male, operations profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke '16 (S)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Profile evaluation - Indian Male, operations profile [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 06:50
Hi admissionado team,

would appreciate if you can give me a profile review.

I am planning to apply for fall 2014 admissions.

Profile is as below:

Background: Age 27, Indian Male

Education:
High School: 90% (CBSE board)
Undergard: One of the IITs
GPA : 9/10
Gmat 760, AWA 6

Work Exp: 5 years as on June 2014
2.5 years in India's top 2 pharmaceutical firm:
Worked in the biggest manufacturing plant of the firm, . started off as an in-charge of a production line. got promoted in an year - planned operations for the entire plant consisting of 50 + production lines as a part of a team of 3. worked on several production / cost improvement projects.

2.5 Years in a successful e-commerce startup in India
joined the startup in its early phase. played the lead role in laying the foundations of operations (warehouse processes, logistics, order processing). work exp. includes developing many processes from scratch, defining key parameters to evaluate company's operations and optimizing on them

Internship: Did an international internship during college for 3 months.

Extra-curricular: Developed a website to provide online platform to India NGOs (now has more than 120+ NGOs registered), basic (A1) knowledge of 2 foreign languages, other average extra-curricular activities in college

Post MBA Goal and Why MBA ?: In long run want to start a logistics company in India. want an MBA to gain knowledge of marketing and fin aspects of business, and develop my professional network.

I applied 2 years back in 2011 to some B schools:
Stanford (denied w interview)
HBS (denied w/o interview)
Booth (denied w/o interview)
Wharton (denied w/o interview)
Tuck (denied w/o interview)

some mistakes I think I made: I applied with too little work exp. (2.5 yrs), applied mostly in R2

pl. advice to which all schools I should re-apply and what other top 10 US B schools i can target.

thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - Indian Male, operations profile [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 08:28
Expert's post
Hey there my friend,
You have overall a very nice profile - IIT, Non-IT, Fantastic GMAT, great work industry, some real leadership, fantastic GPA...Great stuff overall!

The only thing that's a wee bit of a shame, is that you are on your to applying again R2 (at least for some of the schools)... but nothing to be done now!

A few things that remain unclear to me:
1. which job was first and which was second? Are you going chronological? Or reverse?
2. What can you say about the success of this startup and the DIRECT influence you had in achieving this
3. How do you connect your goals to your experience?
4. Need more detail about your work experience!

But other than that, Top 10 seems to make sense to me if you can prove your improvement to those schools you applied. You may not want to apply to ALL the SAME schools. Since you interviewed at Stanford, I'd say for sure reapply there. Then from the other four choose maybe 2 to reapply, and add 3 more new schools. Which schools? You know which ones! The other top 10 schools! Kellogg, Haas, Sloan.. maybe Fuqua or Stern?

Make sense?

If you have any follow-up Qs juuuust fire away!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation - Indian Male, operations profile [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 10:05
thanks Jon for the reply.

I am planning to apply mostly in R1 this time (this will be bit tight with around 6 weeks left for R1 deadlines, but will still try)

1. the pharma plant job was the first
2. the start up is successful, backed by VCs like sequoia capital etc., and has been rated the top 10 startups in india. direct influence is significant, think my recommenders (founders of this startup) will be able to back this
3. through my ground operations and logistics and supply chain knowledge (will have to work to make this more elaborate).

yes, kellogg is on my mind as a preferred B school. Sloan am still evaluating (got some advice that sloan is not great in marketing / fin, ones I am looking to learn more about. ?)

some queries:
- HBS ? (its usually reported that HBS prefers candidates from big firms, does my startup work exp. work against me for HBS ?)
- have not given TOEFL, so won't be able to apply to Haas. was considering Columbia business school. your views ?

- thanks
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - Indian Male, operations profile [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 22:06
Expert's post
Well there you go...
My first piece of advice: DON'T RUSH! You can make in my opinion 2 schools MAYBE in round 1 in six weeks if you are working full-time. It is FAR more important that you apply with amazing applications than you make R1....

HBS.... it will be tough. You are right that they like people from big successful firms, and within those firms, the most successful people. You can give it a shot, but it'll be tough. Columbia can be a fine choice too. Basically, I advice you to go to the best school you can, and if you can get into a Top 10 school, you go to a top 10 school, no matter what you do or where it is, and Columbia will pretty much round off that list (there's still NYU/Duke though a bit on the "lower" end of this movable Top 10).

Good luck to you.. plan on spending a LOT of time on your application... and apply to as MANY schools as you can.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation - Indian Male, operations profile [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 22:08
thanks Jon, appreciate your help !
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - Indian Male, operations profile [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 20:26
Expert's post
waldong wrote:
thanks Jon, appreciate your help !

You got it man!
Good luck!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com