Please have a quick look at my (long
) profile. After my profile description I've posted pretty specific questions. Please have a look at them and help me in deciding.GMAT Score
- 730 [Q50 V40] [AWA and IR score awaited] Undergraduate GPA
- 8.51/10.00 [2nd in Class]Undergraduate Course
- B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from Dr. B.R. Ambedkar NIT, Jalandhar, IndiaWork Experience
- 2 years as on 01.08.2013 in NTPC Ltd. as an Operations Engineer [Designation: Assistant Manager]Job Responsibilties:
Safe and efficient operation, complete monitoring, and control of a 500 MW unit; ABT Management (Commercial Aspect of Power Trading in India) - Regulating the generation of 11 units (~4600 MW) in accordance with the DC and SG, keeping in view the grid frequency in order to optimize generation so as to maximize the profit and PLF of the entire Plant.Leadership at Work:
Head of 5S Management Committee for premises producing 1000MW; Team Lead (6 members) for the Boiler Group in the Recommissioning of a 500MW unit (Not usually given to someone as young as me); Supervisor of a team (of 16 technicians) responsible for the ground healthiness of the plant equipment in order to ensure maximum efficiency of the plant.Accolades at Work:
Letter of Appreciation from GM(O&M) for emergency handling of a fire in the plant leading to savings of approx. Rs. 50 million; Conducted Work Study on the ABT Management and implemented changes which led to increase in revenue of the plant by approx. Rs.450 million per year; Suggested improvements in operation practices and plant efficiency leading to savings of approx. Rs. 80 million per year. [I can strongly bolster these claims with calculations and technical explanations]Extra Curricular Achievements
Won 1st prize in NASA International Space Settlement Design Competition, in the entire world; Won Runner's Up position in Asian Regional Space Settlement Design Competition by AIAA at the Asian Level; Selected as a DAAD-IAESTE Scholar for a paid internship in Germany during 3rd year of engineering.National:
Played Basketball representing my university in the National Level Inter-University Basketball Championship.University Level:
Organized various cultural festivals in the university; Compere at various collegiate events in the university; Captain of the university basketball team; Secretary of Hostel Mess Committee etc.High School Level:
Science and Technology Secretary Middle School [Member of Student Council].Social Roles
- Actively involved in the CSR activities of my employer; Co-founded evening school for the children of uneducated construction workers in my university.Publication
- “Design of Habitat Structures Planned to be Built on Moon” in CTB2020, KU .Career Goal
- Short Term:
Work in the energy consultancy sector for a few years in a firm that is the leader in this area for eg. McKinsey, BCG, A.T. KearneyLong Term:
Start my own company which will first provide consultancy on renewable energy sources and then venture into renewable power generation.
My specific questions are -
1. Please evaluate my profile. How Strong or Weak it is? Areas of Improvements?
2. I have not narrowed down to a list of B-Schools I intend to apply to but I do want to target schools only in the top 20 of the world. My dream school is MIT Sloan. Other preferences are NYU Stern, Kellogg, Columbia, LBS, ISB, INSEAD, HKUST. Please tell me whether I am being too ambitious keeping in mind my profile.
3. Is a work experience of 2 years less than required for the above mentioned schools keeping in mind my profile? If so, please tell me where I am lacking and areas of improvement. Also, please advise whether I should increase my work experience and then apply to my dream schools?
Thank you in advance. Anticipating a positive and encouraging reply.