Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Indian Telecom Engineer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Evaluation - Indian Telecom Engineer [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 22:22
Hi,

I'm an Indian female interested in doing an MBA in either the US or UK. I'm very interested in strategic planning and business development. I just wrote my GMAT a week ago and got 660 (Q44 V37), had expected at least 700, so it is a bit of a disappointment but I'm not sure how much I can improve in such a short time period so I've decided to not write it again. I come from a engineering background having done my grad in Telecom from a top engineering college of my State. I'm not sure what my GPA would be but I graduated with First Class lying in the top 30% of my class. I work in a small product company that focus on video quality monitoring. I wouldn't term myself as an IT person mainly because my job has nothing to do with IT (at least that's how i see it). I have 2 yrs of work experience, by the time i start my MBA it would be 3.

Here's what I'm worried about, i had a job offer from a reputed company in India with a good pay, but I declined that offer to join the company I am working with presently. My dad founded the company and is the CEO, but I mainly joined cause I would be applying everything i learnt about in 4 yrs of college to do my job and i loved the technology they were working with. My designation is Product Manager - now I know ppl automatically conclude that I was given this because of who I am, I thought so too when I joined, but after two years I think I can confidently say I haven't let down my superiors who saw the potential in me and entrusted with such a big responsibility. I was dead set on not doing a job that 90% of engineers do, I wanted to learn, explore and do something different. And I got to do exactly that, I did a lot of research on upcoming strategies that the company should move towards, analysis on the pros and cons of that and helped implement this move as well. I was also responsible for a particular patent pending facet of our product that is our Intellectual Property and a big USP with our clients. The second year I spent a lot of time marketing our products in the US. I have had the opportunity to present and demo our product to our clients like Ericsson. I have also spent close to 5 months training our clients on how to use our products.

I guess what I wanna ask is, do I have a chance at some good schools with my score and work experience. The schools that I would wanna apply are:
Harvard
ISB
Yale
Cornell
Oxford: Said
Cambridge: Judge
Tuck
Tepper
Ross

I understand that some of the above schools may be out of reach, but if so I would like some advice on where to apply and where to not apply. I would love to apply to Booth and Kellogg as well but is it worth it? Am I unique enough for them, do I stand a chance? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Also should I talk about working in a company founded by my dad or not. I understand that some of the opportunities i have been given may have been cause of who I am but I also know that I have gone above and beyond every expectation my superiors have had of me. Due to that I think I was given a lot of assignments well beyond my age and experience, not because of my surname but because I had proved myself before.

Please let me know what I should do in terms of what schools to apply to and what strategy to use. Also do you think taking help from an MBA consultant would improve my chances?

Many Thanks in advance..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian Telecom Engineer [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 01:36
Expert's post
If there is one good piece of news I can deliver you its that people whose father own big companies tend to do VERY well in their applications. This is only normal (especially if the company is big), as you are essentially a guaranteed success story for them (so, if your goal is: I will take over my dad's company to become CEO of a 5000 large workforce, you are getting IN).

Your 660 on your GMAT is however, a bit unfortunate, and might put some top schools out of range for you (depends a bit more on the company, your work experience etc.). I don't know if its worth a retake, but it might be worth considering it. For example with a very strong GMAT plus a very big company, all of a sudden HBS becomes possible. So it might be worth it for you.

Are you unique enough? Maybe that is the wrong question. The question should rather be: How do I MAKE myself unique? What can I DO to stand out? to PROVE my success?

As for your final question: Yes I think we help a lot! Otherwise I wouldn't have founded a company which provides such assistance to folks such as yourself! :)

We have seen LOADS of applications from loads of folks, and we can help you get out your unique story in the most effective way for the B-school to give you the best possible chances to reach your dreams.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian Telecom Engineer [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 02:13
Thank you so much for your thoughts! The company is not a big one, but a very specialized product firm working in a very niche market. Of course our clients are all telecom service providers so they range in size from North America's largest to a small provider with 35,000 customers.

I'm wondering if I should retake my GMAT to improve my chances, but I'm not sure yet. Maybe I will apply to a couple schools and try this time.

I will follow your advice on working with an MBA consultant, new to that area, so have to read up on that as well.

Lastly, I do have a question, is it advisable to name any clients or vendors in my resume or essays, or is it best to leave them anonymous.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my profile and help me out!
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian Telecom Engineer [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 03:14
Expert's post
There's no reason to keep things anonymous, as long as you don't work in a super sensitive area like Defense or something like that. All your application materials are entirely confidential, and if you have worked with big/famous companies, then it can sound nice in an essay.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian Telecom Engineer [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 03:16
Thank you so much Jon for taking time out to answer my questions!
Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian Telecom Engineer [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 03:27
Expert's post
You got it! That's what we are here for.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com