Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation--Interesting dimension or just off base?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation--Interesting dimension or just off base? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 10:08
Hello,

I am considering going for an MBA or perhaps holding off to move into education entrepreneurship.

I find myself at this crossroad because I used to teach high school for two years on the West Coast and then switched to be an admission counselor at a private liberal arts college on the East Coast.

In my time, I've learned different education systems and though it's education, higher education has a business component thinking about endowments, marketing, financial aid, tuition, etc.

Simultaneously, I have worried about the model and think that alternative pathways like online classes or startups like Coursera, Khan Academy, Udacity, etc. are threatening the model.

I find both interesting but I hope that you see that this is quite a dilemma and that you couldn't really choose one. Tradition or buck with tradition debate that's similar to the MBA vs entrepreneur debate.

Should I decide to go for the MBA, would any of this resonate with adcoms or would I not be deemed "a fit" with the class and culture? I've seen some joint programs out there but perhaps I should look into more education tech or innovation programs instead? The reason I like to pursue an MBA is to keep my options open as to which side I like to pursue. Perhaps I just work up to be a College Dean or perhaps I move into an education startup but have the business acumen/tools to build that startup.

In terms of my profile:

Pomona College: 3.75 GPA. English Major
2 years HS English Teacher
3 years Admission Counselor
Certificate in General Management from a Stanford Summer Business Program. I was also a program counselor for the program 2 years ago.
Did not take the GMAT given my education interests so I took the GRE: 640V, 720Q. I think it's okay but not great but in the end, there doesn't seem to be that much consensus/information on what the GRE means to business schools. If I'm advised that an MBA would be great for me, then I'll probably take the GMAT.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manhattan Review Test Prep & Admissions
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation--Interesting dimension or just off base? [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 05:32
Expert's post
Thank you for you posting.
To be direct – not only do I think your background and goals would be welcome – I believe that they would be very welcome. Business schools are looking to develop the next generation of leaders in all industries -- so with such a rich background in education – you would add great diversity to the program.

We have worked with many candidates who have worked in education (primarily TFA) and have education focused goals – and they have been very well received – with many of them ending up at the best programs in the world (HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, etc.) The one thing that all were able to do was to clearly articulate their goals as well as reasons for obtaining an MBA degree. So for you, your application is critical. Also, based on what you present, the schools most receptive to your background are Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, Haas, Anderson, Ross and Darden.

While I would prefer that you have slightly higher GRE scores, what you have now is good enough given your strong academic background. As I would recommend that you apply R1, at this stage you should focus on your applications rather than on taking a standardized test again.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Profile Evaluation--Interesting dimension or just off base?   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2013, 05:32