Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - JD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - JD [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 11:45
Facts:

W/M 26.5, 27.5 at matriculation (2010)
GMAT: 750 (AWA 6)
Undergrad: 2.9, 3.4 (major) political science
JD: 3.2
Extra (MBA) classes: 4.0
I took the following MBA classes while in law school, but did not enroll in JD/MBA program:
1. Corporate Finance, A (2nd Year, 2nd semester)
2. Advanced Finance, A (3rd Year, 1st semester)
3. Valuation, A (3rd year, 2nd semester)
4. Derivatives, A (3rd Year, 2nd semester)
5. Financial Statement Analysis, A (3rd Year, 1st semester)

Note: The MBA program at my law school was not top 15 which is why I chose to avoid the joint degree.

Story: I went into law school without much direction or maturity and after the first year I began taking business law classes (e.g. corporate tax, M&A, reorganizations). Worked for a summer as an analyst at boutique IB and summer at NY law firm. At the beginning of my third year I interviewed for associate positions with a number of IBanks; however, no offers. The reason I was given related to my less than compelling story and that, at the time, I had a weak finance background (I was only through one-half of one semester of Adv. Finance and FS Analysis). Currently, I am working for a boutique NY law firm focused almost exclusively on capital markets practice and, although I am only completing my first year, have been involved in our largest transactions in varying degrees, including drafting substantial documents and leading due diligence teams of three to five associates. Leadership opportunities are not abundant for first year law associates (within office confines).

Extracurricular Activities: Nothing of note, some pro bono legal work and I am trying to become involved in local government. In college, I was active (leader) in fraternity, a student interviewer for the university and a member of a select group of seniors chosen for an advisory committee. Unfortunately, I was involved in very little during law school because I hated being there and tried to quit twice.

Post-MBA: Financial services, particularly M&A advisory, capital markets or restructuring with no specific industry in mind

What are my chances at each of HBS and Columbia? Should I be applying for August 2010 or August 2011? My concern with 2011 is that I will be on the older side for HBS; however, I would be about average at CBS. Are there any other schools I should consider (e.g. Wharton, Booth, Tuck)? I know the focus will be on my "story" do you have any advice on how to approach my apparent indecisiveness?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - JD [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 18:14
HBS doesn't like lawyers, unless they are doing a JD/MBA at HLS/HBS. Your chances are slim there.

Columbia is certainly possible, as are other top b-schools. Maybe swap HBS for Wharton - as there's usually a small handful of ex-lawyers in the class. Look at Chicago, Tuck, Kellogg, Sloan, etc -- it comes down to how well you execute the applications.

As for how to approach your indecisiveness, the best way is to be decisive -- you can't fake it, man. If you are lost and don't know what to do, then figure that out. If you feel you came across as a little lost or indecisive in the past, then you better know what you specifically want from b-school and from your career. It's not about polish and spin - it's about substance and sincerity.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation - JD   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2009, 18:14