Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: All City Chess Club.
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2013
GRE 1: Q740 V630
GPA: 3.34
WE:Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Journalism Early Career Applicant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
KD2010 wrote:
Hi Linda!

I wish GMAT Club was registered with an email account I check so I could get alerts about responses =/. Fortunately, other consultants and books echoed your sentiments and I incorporated them into my strategy. I didn't have much time to build an "alternative transcript" but I did take the GRE and hit 80th percentile for my math score. I took the GRE twice and got the same overall score but the subject scores differed. Exam 1: 690Q; 580V Exam 2: 740Q; 520V (I made the mistake of not studying verbal for either exams and it showed, lesson learned! Plus my practice CATs had be scoring 100 pts higher hmm).

These are the schools I decided to apply to:

Consortium:

NYU, Yale, Dartmouth, UTexas Austin, UVA Darden

Non Consortium:

MIT, Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, UPenn

I had to write around 30 essays (ugh) but my readers think they're really well written since I took a magazine journalism narrative approach. Here's hoping my writing chops get me interviews! I also applied for Columbia's Women in Biz event and got selected to attend so I hope they attach that to my app since they did ask if you had already submitted an application. I visited MIT a few times formally with admissions and one of their reps remembers me and my general area of interest (Media/Ent) so hopefully that helps. I made it to a bunch of HBS related events but I doubt admissions knows outside of my class visit but at least I'll have something to bring up if I get an interview.

I hope that your applications this year are fruitful! For now, I'm going to assume that they are; if not, then be in touch again to talk about strategies to move forward. You do have a unique background that I believe the top schools are going to be interested in!
P.S. You can click on the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box to receive a notification from GMAT Club to your email inbox.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes I am using the notifications now! My fingers are crossed but I may end up in the market for Round 3 consulting. Guess I'll just have to wait and see!
Send PM
Expert Reply
KD2010 wrote:
Yes I am using the notifications now! My fingers are crossed but I may end up in the market for Round 3 consulting. Guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Keep us updated!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Interview at Wharton, dinged at HBS and Columbia. And so the waiting game continues.
Send PM
Expert Reply
KD2010 wrote:
Interview at Wharton, dinged at HBS and Columbia. And so the waiting game continues.

The Wharton interview sounds promising. If you were able to show that you have interesting experiences and insights to share with the class, then you have a shot!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I visited Wharton for classes and a tour and then interviewed. Despite tripping down a staircase, my interview went pretty well. My interviewer was casual but said she was impressed with my resume and responded to one of my examples to the behavioral question with "wow." At the end she even suggested a restaurant I should go to. She was very nice and answered all my questions (about 5-6 but half were conversational follow-ups to her responses).

So far I'm dinged HBS, CSB and UT. WL at Yale. Interview at W and MIT. Depending on how everything works out I may have to reapply next year with the help of a consultant. Still too early to tell though, fingers crossed!
Send PM
Expert Reply
KD2010 wrote:
I visited Wharton for classes and a tour and then interviewed. Despite tripping down a staircase, my interview went pretty well. My interviewer was casual but said she was impressed with my resume and responded to one of my examples to the behavioral question with "wow." At the end she even suggested a restaurant I should go to. She was very nice and answered all my questions (about 5-6 but half were conversational follow-ups to her responses).

So far I'm dinged HBS, CSB and UT. WL at Yale. Interview at W and MIT. Depending on how everything works out I may have to reapply next year with the help of a consultant. Still too early to tell though, fingers crossed!

Definitely too early to tell. First, keep up contact with Yale and build a relationship there. Also, don't forget to write a thank you note for the interviews and update them on any significant progress since you applied. I do think a consultant helps a lot - but of course, I'm biased!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jenniferbloom wrote:
KD2010 wrote:

Definitely too early to tell. First, keep up contact with Yale and build a relationship there. Also, don't forget to write a thank you note for the interviews and update them on any significant progress since you applied. I do think a consultant helps a lot - but of course, I'm biased!

I sent thank you's so now it's just hoping I get off the WL! I got dinged from Darden and WL at Wharton but my MIT interview seemed to go well. Guess come June I'll know where I stand when it comes to reapplying =/

Do you think it would help to have graduates or faculty write a letter/petition on your behalf for MIT? I know some schools like that and some don't care for it.
Send PM
Expert Reply
KD2010 wrote:
jenniferbloom wrote:
KD2010 wrote:

I sent thank you's so now it's just hoping I get off the WL! I got dinged from Darden and WL at Wharton but my MIT interview seemed to go well. Guess come June I'll know where I stand when it comes to reapplying =/

Do you think it would help to have graduates or faculty write a letter/petition on your behalf for MIT? I know some schools like that and some don't care for it.

Unless the programs specifically say "don't send us anything," then you can still submit new material while you are on the waitlist. Thus, the professor could certainly send a short letter on your behalf to the Yale admissions committee about you and what you contributed to the learning environment. On the other hand, the only reason to submit new material while you are simply waiting for a regular admission decision (ie., the time between when you submitted your application and have heard their decision) is if you have reached a significant milestone or achievement. And even in that case, the email must be short and to the point about the activity, the impact, and in what class or activity on campus you feel this will be especially relevant. Thus, I do not feel that the professor's letter is warranted in the case of MIT unless the professor is world-renowned and will be particularly striking.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Alas, an update!

Turns out I won't have to reapply next year after all. I was admitted to MIT (still on the WL for Yale and W) and will go there in the fall. Thanks for all your help!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations! That is wonderful news!
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
KD2010 wrote:
Alas, an update!

Turns out I won't have to reapply next year after all. I was admitted to MIT (still on the WL for Yale and W) and will go there in the fall. Thanks for all your help!

Congratulations!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Not sure if anyone with a similar profile was following this thread but I got dinged from Yale's WL (I didn't submit updates because I knew I was going to Sloan so no surprise there) and Wharton's Summer WL (w/interview). Sloan gave me a scholarship though so that's awesome.
Send PM
Expert Reply
KD2010 wrote:
Not sure if anyone with a similar profile was following this thread but I got dinged from Yale's WL (I didn't submit updates because I knew I was going to Sloan so no surprise there) and Wharton's Summer WL (w/interview). Sloan gave me a scholarship though so that's awesome.

Not only is it awesome but it is also a reminder to all applicants that there is a lot involved in the application process. The best way to hedge all of that is to apply to a diverse range of programs and put your all into each of those applications!
Congratulations on the scholarship and your tenacity in this lengthy process!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jenniferbloom wrote:
KD2010 wrote:

Not only is it awesome but it is also a reminder to all applicants that there is a lot involved in the application process. The best way to hedge all of that is to apply to a diverse range of programs and put your all into each of those applications!
Congratulations on the scholarship and your tenacity in this lengthy process!

Thanks!!
GMAT Club Bot