Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Kushal Nagrani (India)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: ISB '16, NUS '16, NTU '17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Profile Evaluation: Kushal Nagrani (India) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 06:11
Hello ,
PLEASE COMMENT ON MY PROFILE and RESPOND TO THE QUERIES BELOW:

Demographics: 25 year old male, Indian
GMAT: yet to appear

Academics:
- Secondary School score—68%
- High School school—60%
- Undergraduate in Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science & Engineering from a Private Engineering college of state technological university with 70.53 %

Reason for MBA- higher career prospects and growth at a good pace

Work History: 18 months as I am working with Cognizant Technology Solutions, India currently as Programmer Analyst (since December 2011). I have finished two projects till now in the finance domain and i am working on the third one in the same. The client is a Zurich based Multinational Bank. In this project , i am developing the front end i.e. the interface in ExtJS which is a new technology combined with the existing power of Spring framework.

Key Achievements at work:
- won the technical presentation in the initial months of my work.
- Best learner of the year award in the first year itself.
- Passed the Oracle Certification in Java SE 6 with 98% marks.
- did several internal certifications in Banking and Finance domain(BFS) like investment banking, assets and wealth management, investment accounting, private banking etc.
- Won the inter-IT volleyball tournament being in the team of my company.
- Playing in the company’s cricket, football and table-tennis teams and participating in the corporate tournaments.
- Active participant in Outreach program of my firm under Corporate Social Responsibility. I go to schools on weekends and teach children who can’t afford quality education. Also, i donate a part of my salary every month in buying books, clothes etc. for them.

Awards and scholarships—
- Stood 3rd in the district in MBD Talent Search exam.
- School Head Boy in the year 2005-06 and 2006-07.

Extracurricular:
- Won several quizzes in school.
- Got second position in inter-college robotics competition.
- Played in the Super Eleven National Cricket tournament from the state team.
- Played in the National Softball Championship from the university team
- Lead the College Baseball team in the State level Baseball tournament. The team stood at 3rd place.
- Secured 3rd position in State level Quiz Competition on Renewable Energy.
- Stood 3rd in the inter-school swimming competition.

Post MBA goals:
Targeting for the operations profile as i am more inclined to it

Need opinion: Kindly let me know if my school choices as given below are apt for my profile and which schools out of these am I likely to get through. Also, please guide me which 8 schools I should apply to out of this list.

- Schools targeting - INSEAD Singapore , NUS, NBS.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: Kushal Nagrani (India) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Kushal,

Thanks for sharing your profile. It sounds like you have a variety of achievements and areas of recognition in your current role and in extra-curricular activities and interests. However if I am understanding correctly, you have only 18 months of work experience? That will put you below-average at most programs which could be a potential weakness, as business schools like to fill their classes with those who bring a bit more depth and breadth of experiences to their in-class discussions. You also have a very technical background and are part of a large group of applicants (technical profile from India) so it will be a challenge to stand out from that crowd and also to demonstrate that you have more than just technical expertise.

Without a GMAT score it also makes it difficult to point you in the right direction of tier of schools to apply to, except to say that given your profile info so far, it will be difficult to have a chance at the more competitive programs and the ones on your list without an outstanding score.

Finally, you will need to further develop your career goals and explanation for why you want the MBA, when you are competing against other qualified applicants who have nailed that down more convincingly.

Hope that helps, be sure to focus on a great GMAT score!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation: Kushal Nagrani (India) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 22:10
mbaMissionJenK wrote:
Hi Kushal,

Thanks for sharing your profile. It sounds like you have a variety of achievements and areas of recognition in your current role and in extra-curricular activities and interests. However if I am understanding correctly, you have only 18 months of work experience? That will put you below-average at most programs which could be a potential weakness, as business schools like to fill their classes with those who bring a bit more depth and breadth of experiences to their in-class discussions. You also have a very technical background and are part of a large group of applicants (technical profile from India) so it will be a challenge to stand out from that crowd and also to demonstrate that you have more than just technical expertise.

Without a GMAT score it also makes it difficult to point you in the right direction of tier of schools to apply to, except to say that given your profile info so far, it will be difficult to have a chance at the more competitive programs and the ones on your list without an outstanding score.

Finally, you will need to further develop your career goals and explanation for why you want the MBA, when you are competing against other qualified applicants who have nailed that down more convincingly.

Hope that helps, be sure to focus on a great GMAT score!

hey thanks Jen

one more query
what if i consider Masters in Management programs?
do i have a good chance?
which b-school MIM programs are best?
and what is their scope and future prospects as compared to MBA?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: Kushal Nagrani (India) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 16:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi again,

Well, generally Masters in Management degrees are not my strongest area of expertise, fyi. You may have better chances, as they are often slightly less competitive and take younger candidates. There are some variants of 'Masters of Operations Management' or 'Masters of Operations Research' at least at US schools, fyi, if you truly stuck with that career path. I would say very broadly that the MBA may open MORE doors and is more general and a little more 'standard' in terms of curriculum and expectations of what MBA graduates are capable of, especially at well-known schools... the Masters in Management can be considered to be a bit more 'vague' and it also depends on what companies you are targeting post-MBA, and where they go to hire and recruit! If you know you're interested solely in a particular area (finance, marketing, even operations), sometimes a masters in that area can still serve you well, if any uncertainty, an MBA generally lets you explore and learn about a wider variety of areas. Best advice generally though is to speak with hiring professionals and those who work at companies you're interested in working at, do some informational interviews etc, and find out how they view different degrees. ;)

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation: Kushal Nagrani (India) [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 10:17
mbaMissionJenK wrote:
Hi again,

Well, generally Masters in Management degrees are not my strongest area of expertise, fyi. You may have better chances, as they are often slightly less competitive and take younger candidates. There are some variants of 'Masters of Operations Management' or 'Masters of Operations Research' at least at US schools, fyi, if you truly stuck with that career path. I would say very broadly that the MBA may open MORE doors and is more general and a little more 'standard' in terms of curriculum and expectations of what MBA graduates are capable of, especially at well-known schools... the Masters in Management can be considered to be a bit more 'vague' and it also depends on what companies you are targeting post-MBA, and where they go to hire and recruit! If you know you're interested solely in a particular area (finance, marketing, even operations), sometimes a masters in that area can still serve you well, if any uncertainty, an MBA generally lets you explore and learn about a wider variety of areas. Best advice generally though is to speak with hiring professionals and those who work at companies you're interested in working at, do some informational interviews etc, and find out how they view different degrees. ;)

hey thanks Jen
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: Kushal Nagrani (India) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 20:12
Expert's post
No problem, good luck to you!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission