Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Last round vs Round 1 next year

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.99
WE: Operations (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Last round vs Round 1 next year [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 14:58
1. From SF Bay Area, white male, will be 27 this fall. Been working 4 years at a very small environmental data services company primarily doing geospatial data acquisition, processing, and analysis, but I've had a variety of other projects due to the small size of company.
2. 750. Q49, V42, 5.5, 8
3. 2.99 GPA @ UC Berkeley in Environmental Engineering. GPA is low because I was pretty lazy as an undergraduate.
4. In college, mild participation with snowboard team, no other extra curriculars (see: lazy). Since college I've had a few interesting hobbies for various periods of time (co-directing an electronic music event crew, organizing a Burning Man camp, DJing). Most recently (aug 2012) I co-founded a website as a side project for fun/professional development (I'm technically "CEO" of the 3 person team).
5. No certifications
6. Stanford, Haas, Johnson (I have 2 generations of non-Johnson legacy @ Cornell), Stern, Andersen, McCombs, and Marshall
7. Last round for all of them.
8. Goal is to get into management consulting to develop real world experience for an eventual shift back into tech entrepreneurship.

Basically I was working extensively on the website in the fall and I didn't get the MBA ball rolling until late december. I took the gmat in early feb and did well so I decided I might as well give this last round a shot. I've already applied to everything, so now I'm just playing the waiting game, wondering what my chances are and how much different they might be during a fall reapplication. I'd love a review, thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation - Last round vs Round 1 next year [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 20:55
Expert's post
sadface wrote:
1. From SF Bay Area, white male, will be 27 this fall. Been working 4 years at a very small environmental data services company primarily doing geospatial data acquisition, processing, and analysis, but I've had a variety of other projects due to the small size of company.
2. 750. Q49, V42, 5.5, 8
3. 2.99 GPA @ UC Berkeley in Environmental Engineering. GPA is low because I was pretty lazy as an undergraduate.
4. In college, mild participation with snowboard team, no other extra curriculars (see: lazy). Since college I've had a few interesting hobbies for various periods of time (co-directing an electronic music event crew, organizing a Burning Man camp, DJing). Most recently (aug 2012) I co-founded a website as a side project for fun/professional development (I'm technically "CEO" of the 3 person team).
5. No certifications
6. Stanford, Haas, Johnson (I have 2 generations of non-Johnson legacy @ Cornell), Stern, Andersen, McCombs, and Marshall
7. Last round for all of them.
8. Goal is to get into management consulting to develop real world experience for an eventual shift back into tech entrepreneurship.

Basically I was working extensively on the website in the fall and I didn't get the MBA ball rolling until late december. I took the gmat in early feb and did well so I decided I might as well give this last round a shot. I've already applied to everything, so now I'm just playing the waiting game, wondering what my chances are and how much different they might be during a fall reapplication. I'd love a review, thanks!

Thanks for your post.

Your chances at Stanford and Haas are poor. You have a decent chance at Cornell, McCombs, and Marshall. You also have a smaller shot at Anderson and Stern, but it's R3. Your chances would improve significantly at all the programs except Haas and Stanford if you apply R1. Those will remain a stretch even R1.

Hopefully you can soon tell me I'm wrong. :-)

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation - Last round vs Round 1 next year [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 21:46
I hope so too, Linda. Thanks!
Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation - Last round vs Round 1 next year [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 11:19
In case anyone is curious, Linda was pretty much spot on.

Stanford/Haas/UCLA rejected me off the bat, Stern put me on the waitlist and ultimately rejected me with no interview, McCombs interviewed and rejected me, and both Johnson and Marshall let me in with no drama.

Overall I'm extremely happy with how my last round applications turned out because I'm able to get a 1 year "head start" from where I'd be if I had waited until fall to apply. If Marshall was my only acceptance I might have had some thoughts about potentially waiting another year, but Johnson is a great enough school that I have no doubts about it being the right move.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Re: Profile Evaluation - Last round vs Round 1 next year [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 13:14
Congrats sadface! Have a good time in Ithaca!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation - Last round vs Round 1 next year [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 19:08
Expert's post
sadface wrote:
In case anyone is curious, Linda was pretty much spot on.

Stanford/Haas/UCLA rejected me off the bat, Stern put me on the waitlist and ultimately rejected me with no interview, McCombs interviewed and rejected me, and both Johnson and Marshall let me in with no drama.

Overall I'm extremely happy with how my last round applications turned out because I'm able to get a 1 year "head start" from where I'd be if I had waited until fall to apply. If Marshall was my only acceptance I might have had some thoughts about potentially waiting another year, but Johnson is a great enough school that I have no doubts about it being the right move.

Congratulations on your acceptances! You're right about Cornell. I'm glad things worked out well for you. Thanks for reporting back.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog