Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 10:00

Today

Waiting for Decisions? Join us in the chat | All GMAT Club Tests are Free and Open

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation, looking to change careers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile evaluation, looking to change careers [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 02:44
Quick Facts:
College: University of Alabama
Bachelors: Accounting
GPA: 2.4 Something
Work History:

2008-2011
Upon graduating from college I worked for a hospice in Georgia for four years. I started as an accountant/bookkeeper, made the CFO extremely happy by assisting in extremely aggressive cost cutting techniques. In 2009 I received a title change to Senior Accountant, and I took on a multitude of other responsibilities including IT and other tasks. In my third year I was promoted to Controller where I was in charge of compiling the un-audited financial packages to the CFO/CEO and the Board of Directors, as well as all other necessary tasks associated with the title. In my final 10 months I initiated and managed our first ever external audit of our financial statements. And finally, throughout my last 6 months I played a pivotal role in the sale of the company to outside venture capitalists.

And then I was laid off......

I was out of work for a majority of 2012, and was deeply saddened and depressed throughout most of the year.

Starting in 2013 I started working as an accountant for a Fortune 50 company where it is exceedingly difficult to gain any type of management experience, or gain any rapid promotions. Plus, it does not help that my boss is not willing to write me a letter of recommendation because we have not worked together long enough.

To make a long story short, I do not want to work in accounting for the rest of my life. As of right now it is nothing more than a paycheck to pay the bills.

I currently reside in the energy capital of the world, and throughout the past several years I have become deeply passionate about the oil/gas industry and corporate finance.

I have kept putting off taking the GMAT throughout the course of this year due to fear of failure, again, but I am bound and determined to score +680 because I know that is what it will take in order to overcome my terribly weak GPA.

I am putting a lot of this effort to get into my dream school, which is, Rice University.

Since I am going on 30 would it be a good idea for me to go on a full time program? Or should I stick to a professional MBA.

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation, looking to change careers [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 01:02
Expert's post
Dude,
You are a PERFECT candidate for an MBA. You want to go for the right reasons. It is the right time. You are the right age. All you gotta do immediately is solve that GMAT thing!

Yeah sure, you have had a couple or rough knocks along the way, but your profile looks pretty good other than that GPA. And your plan of "making up" for it with a stellar GMAT is the one to go with.

Given your goals, Rice is of course THE perfect school for you, but I do hope you will apply to at least 3-5 more schools as well.

Starting working on Rice already - go to open house events, visit once or twice, connect with people, ask questions, and so on. Dedication and passion can get you very far in your applications, especially once you move out of Top 20 schools.

But right now KILL that GMAT!!!! I'd highly recommend taking a course like Manhattan, and studying studying studying. Put more energy into it than your work, and it will pay off for you big time, dude.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile evaluation, looking to change careers [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 01:26
Hi,

Very true, a good GMAT score can definitely get you an admit into your dream school. As Jon quoted you have a good profile. You can work a little hard toward improving your GMAT and later on concentrating on the application essays. This might help you http://goo.gl/eEFTaA.

All the best!!!

Neha

hfbamafan wrote:
Quick Facts:
College: University of Alabama
Bachelors: Accounting
GPA: 2.4 Something
Work History:

2008-2011
Upon graduating from college I worked for a hospice in Georgia for four years. I started as an accountant/bookkeeper, made the CFO extremely happy by assisting in extremely aggressive cost cutting techniques. In 2009 I received a title change to Senior Accountant, and I took on a multitude of other responsibilities including IT and other tasks. In my third year I was promoted to Controller where I was in charge of compiling the un-audited financial packages to the CFO/CEO and the Board of Directors, as well as all other necessary tasks associated with the title. In my final 10 months I initiated and managed our first ever external audit of our financial statements. And finally, throughout my last 6 months I played a pivotal role in the sale of the company to outside venture capitalists.

And then I was laid off......

I was out of work for a majority of 2012, and was deeply saddened and depressed throughout most of the year.

Starting in 2013 I started working as an accountant for a Fortune 50 company where it is exceedingly difficult to gain any type of management experience, or gain any rapid promotions. Plus, it does not help that my boss is not willing to write me a letter of recommendation because we have not worked together long enough.

To make a long story short, I do not want to work in accounting for the rest of my life. As of right now it is nothing more than a paycheck to pay the bills.

I currently reside in the energy capital of the world, and throughout the past several years I have become deeply passionate about the oil/gas industry and corporate finance.

I have kept putting off taking the GMAT throughout the course of this year due to fear of failure, again, but I am bound and determined to score +680 because I know that is what it will take in order to overcome my terribly weak GPA.

I am putting a lot of this effort to get into my dream school, which is, Rice University.

Since I am going on 30 would it be a good idea for me to go on a full time program? Or should I stick to a professional MBA.

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Profile evaluation, looking to change careers   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2014, 01:26