Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Low GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Low GPA [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 13:37
My Profile:

Ethnicity: Inupiat Eskimo / Scaghticoke Native American
Undergrad: University of Puget Sound -- Business Administration Degree
Undergrad GPA: 2.49

Alright, so my biggest crutch was my undergraduate GPA. And I don't really know how to explain it other than I was immature and didn't take it as seriously as I should of. The only plus is that my business classes for my major I had a GPA up around 3.5. The classes I didn't take seriously were the likes of philosophy, history, music, etc.

But since then, I have been working in the oil industry in Alaska, including Prudhoe Bay for 2 years. I have matured a great deal since college and want to take that next step in education.

Realistically, I realize that my biggest chance of getting in is playing on the Native American/Alaskan card. I grew up in a small village, the furthest north most place in the United States. I am a shareholder of the largest Native corporation in America and have been employed by them for 4 years.

I have solid references, including the CEO of Conoco Phillips, CEO of my corporation, and a choice between many others in the oil industry.

So, with such a mediocre undergrad GPA, is there any chance that I get in a top tier school or should I not even try?

Thanks for any advice!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.11
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 13:48
I think more info is needed:

Have you taken the GMAT yet? Or a practice test? Where do you expect your score to be?

Also, you stated that you have work experience, but what kind? What has been your career progression?

I'm not sure what other info the admission gurus need in order to give you a proper answer...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 15:29
amylucha wrote:
I think more info is needed:

Have you taken the GMAT yet? Or a practice test? Where do you expect your score to be?

Also, you stated that you have work experience, but what kind? What has been your career progression?

I'm not sure what other info the admission gurus need in order to give you a proper answer...

Thanks for the reply. I have not taken the GMAT yet, I was just looking for a gauge on whether I should start preparing for the GMAT or not. I have no worries about my math, don't get me wrong though, I will study it and make sure I'm on top of all the subjects. My problem is and has always been grammar and vocabulary. I got a 740 math and a 410 on verbal on the SAT but that was 9 years ago.

As for my work experience. The first two years out of college I worked in Prudhoe Bay on an oil field as a project controller/financial analyst. Then I spent a year as a junior project manager in which I started building our project controls systems. I spent the last two years as project controls/scheduler in which we used my project controls system to run/manage our projects. It's a multi-billion dollar corporation and the largest native owned corporation in the nation.

I've developed plenty of high profile oil & gas contacts and I've pretty much been pure oil for the past 5 years. My employer has shown interest in me getting my MBA, but only if it is a top program. So I'm just looking for someone with more knowledge on the subject to kind of judge me on whether I should even attempt to try to get admitted in to a top tier school.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will gladly answer them. Thanks again for the reply!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 03:52
Expert's post
pgrinpdt wrote:
My Profile:

Ethnicity: Inupiat Eskimo / Scaghticoke Native American
Undergrad: University of Puget Sound -- Business Administration Degree
Undergrad GPA: 2.49

Alright, so my biggest crutch was my undergraduate GPA. And I don't really know how to explain it other than I was immature and didn't take it as seriously as I should of. The only plus is that my business classes for my major I had a GPA up around 3.5. The classes I didn't take seriously were the likes of philosophy, history, music, etc.

But since then, I have been working in the oil industry in Alaska, including Prudhoe Bay for 2 years. I have matured a great deal since college and want to take that next step in education.

Realistically, I realize that my biggest chance of getting in is playing on the Native American/Alaskan card. I grew up in a small village, the furthest north most place in the United States. I am a shareholder of the largest Native corporation in America and have been employed by them for 4 years.

I have solid references, including the CEO of Conoco Phillips, CEO of my corporation, and a choice between many others in the oil industry.

So, with such a mediocre undergrad GPA, is there any chance that I get in a top tier school or should I not even try?

Thanks for any advice!

Yes, the Alaskan/Native American card is a great one. I do believe you stand a chance at MBA programs. Ideally, you will be able to score in the 680 or higher range on the GMAT to prove that your intellect can handle the workload. Your background - both ethnic and professional - is unique and will interest the programs.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog