Joined: 25 May 2012
, given: 0
Profile Evaluation - low gpa [#permalink]
18 Apr 2014, 15:08
27 year old Asian American and currently at 4 years of work experience. I've waited about 2 years later then i would have wanted to apply to strengthen my background and experience. Any advice to strengthen my credentials if they aren't strong enough would be great.
Analyst at Bloomberg 2010 (6months) analytical experience
Analyst at competitor (12months) - moved to get NYC experience
Account Manager, promoted to Senior Account Manager (2.5years) - moved to get international travel experience (HK, Canada, and across the USA), public speaking & presentation exposure, and managed a book of $3m. I won 3 sales competitions in this role and had the least client cancellations among the whole North & South American team. This role was 100% client facing with high level bankers, lawyers, c-suite & corporate executives from major fortune 100-500 companies. My book size increased by over 150k during my time.
FX Sales at a non bank (3 months currently or 15 months if i matriculate next year) - moved to get sales experience. Building a book from scratch and so far out of all the new hires i'm currently leading the pack with 2 accounts brought on and have generated revenue (i make about 70+ cold calls a day daily). I should be expecting a promotion ahead of schedule (was already verbally stated by my boss but who knows if this will hold out).
I have been positioning myself to be a successful entrepreneur and have been working to develop the skills I believe great business leaders need such as research, public speaking, and sales skills.
2) I plan to score between 680-710.
3) Drexel University, 2.28GPA, Business, & 2009. I worked throughout college all four years at my parents nightclub/private venue as a co-manager with my sister. I would have to come in before shows and party's around 7pm and stay to around 4am. This included taking inventory, cleanup at the end of the night, totaling revenues and paying out the bartenders on a regular basis. Getting very little sleep and having a very dynamic schedule took a toll on my grades (parties were booked sometimes a week in advance). I also had to pay and partially manage armed security on occasion of up to 15 people depending on the type of event that was booked. There is an increase in GPA throughout all 4 years and I did switch major 3 times from nursing ->Chemistry->business. Had to take full course load of 20-23 credits per semester (learning both Korean & Japanese for 3-4 semesters as well) and some summer classes to finish within 4 years.
4) Top 10 business concept competition finalist at Drexel University in 2010. Volunteered for one month in Albania during 2011 for an underwater archaeological survey along the coast for artifacts/amphora. Launched a start-up in 2013 that encourages people to perform good deeds (still a work in progress as the team went through re-structuring). I lost my software developer partners (2 of them that were both friends) and have to start from scratch. It was originally my concept and I spent 5 months putting a team together but learned a lot during the process about fit. I was planning on entering into Y-combinator/Techstars and a few other incubators depending on which ones I was accepted to. I've also completed 3 tough mudders (10-13 mile obstacles courses), other various 5k runs including donations to many different organizations, and have volunteered at homeless shelters a few times. Most of my free time is spent working on my start up now.
6) Stanford, Insead, MIT, Berkley and NYU
7) Insead R1 2014, and if i don't get in thinking about re-applying all 4 schools in 2015.
8) To successfully launch my start-up and make a difference in the world.