Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone,
So here's my MBA story:

White male/32/gay (does this matter?)/GPA 3.005/attended a University of California school/GMAT aiming for at least 700 (practice tests have been around there and still a month and a half before test.

So my story goes that I went off to college, didn't really know what I wanted to do, started in Pre-Med (hated it), did fine first year, then my father passed away (suicide), my grades plummeted, I changed major to Theater, got decent grades, Dean's list quite a few times, ended up graduating with a 3.005 after 5 years (the dad thing REALLy messed me up). I moved to New York (persuing the dream-dream didn't happen). Worked for a Major hotel at the Front Desk for 6 years (the money was suprisrisingly REALLLY good - so didn't take opportunities for advancement, although I was Shift Lead, had highest upsell record and enrollment in loyalty program 4 years in a row-huge deal to the hotel, not sure about Grad Schools), transferred to a Sales position at an even better hotel. Along the way I've cross-trained in several of our sister properties: 2 years in Marketing, 1 year in Copywriting, took Graphic Design/Marketing Courses at NYU (all A's). I have 2 bosses that will no doubt write rave reviews for me. I have quite a few extracurricular going on for me: was published in 6 literary journals, wrote a novel (that never got picked up), an accomplished pianist (creativity and marketing is where I shine), was a gymnastics coach and team captain, was an assistant manager during college, am the first one in my family to graduate from college (let alone grad school), took part in Leadership Development Program at UC. So I'm at a point where I'm sort of trying to spin everything into an example of leadership (ie: holding the family together after father passed away). My question is: clearly my GPA is lacking, and I'm not so sure that schools are going to be thrilled that I was a Theater major. Also I don't really have any official management roles. I wanted to apply to some top schools, but is it a lost cause? I have no doubt I could craft an outstanding essay, I'm just worried about how to phrase/spin the content. I wanted to apply to Columbia and NYU (both close to me), Georgetown, UCLA, USC, and Booth. Boston University and Boston College (both backups). I'm applying first round. Any advice is much appreciated.

Also, I failed to mention that I began this whole application process 3 years ago, but ran into some medical issues. Which are now resolved. (It's been a difficult life to say the least. But hey I'm still here. And that's somehing. )
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:20
A couple of things -

-In addition to a strong composite score, you will need a strong quant score on the GMAT to let admissions know that you will not be a liability in the classroom.

-In conjunction with creating your own leadership story (which I do not think you will have a problem with), you will need to very clearly address your short and long term goals, and why an MBA would help you achieve those goals.
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:26
You come from a non traditional work background but with good essay execution plus a strong GMAT score you should be good at USC, Boston University and Boston College.

UCLA will be tough due to age and low undergrad GPA.

I think Booth, NYU and Columbia are reaches but if you frame the story the right way, especially since Booth and NYU have the ability to add creativity with a PPT to the app can give you a leg up based on execution.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:31
joshhowatt wrote:
Hello everyone,
So here's my MBA story:

White male/32/gay (does this matter?)/GPA 3.005/attended a University of California school/GMAT aiming for at least 700 (practice tests have been around there and still a month and a half before test.

So my story goes that I went off to college, didn't really know what I wanted to do, started in Pre-Med (hated it), did fine first year, then my father passed away (suicide), my grades plummeted, I changed major to Theater, got decent grades, Dean's list quite a few times, ended up graduating with a 3.005 after 5 years (the dad thing REALLy messed me up). I moved to New York (persuing the dream-dream didn't happen). Worked for a Major hotel at the Front Desk for 6 years (the money was suprisrisingly REALLLY good - so didn't take opportunities for advancement, although I was Shift Lead, had highest upsell record and enrollment in loyalty program 4 years in a row-huge deal to the hotel, not sure about Grad Schools), transferred to a Sales position at an even better hotel. Along the way I've cross-trained in several of our sister properties: 2 years in Marketing, 1 year in Copywriting, took Graphic Design/Marketing Courses at NYU (all A's). I have 2 bosses that will no doubt write rave reviews for me. I have quite a few extracurricular going on for me: was published in 6 literary journals, wrote a novel (that never got picked up), an accomplished pianist (creativity and marketing is where I shine), was a gymnastics coach and team captain, was an assistant manager during college, am the first one in my family to graduate from college (let alone grad school), took part in Leadership Development Program at UC. So I'm at a point where I'm sort of trying to spin everything into an example of leadership (ie: holding the family together after father passed away). My question is: clearly my GPA is lacking, and I'm not so sure that schools are going to be thrilled that I was a Theater major. Also I don't really have any official management roles. I wanted to apply to some top schools, but is it a lost cause? I have no doubt I could craft an outstanding essay, I'm just worried about how to phrase/spin the content. I wanted to apply to Columbia and NYU (both close to me), Georgetown, UCLA, USC, and Booth. Boston University and Boston College (both backups). I'm applying first round. Any advice is much appreciated.

Also, I failed to mention that I began this whole application process 3 years ago, but ran into some medical issues. Which are now resolved. (It's been a difficult life to say the least. But hey I'm still here. And that's somehing. )

Irrespective of what happens next....or what was replied to.... KUDOS!!!

KUDOS-ing does'nt cost you anything, but might just make someone's day!!!

"Musings of a Muddled Muggle Mind"
http://felinesmile.blogspot.in/
...comments Welcome :)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:39
to clarify, LGBT status does matter. you will be considered as a minority applicant. other than that, hard to give advice without a GMAT score.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:44
thugly921 wrote:
to clarify, LGBT status does matter. you will be considered as a minority applicant. other than that, hard to give advice without a GMAT score.

SO is this something I should highlight in my application? And if so, how exactly should I introduce that?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:47
joshhowatt wrote:
thugly921 wrote:

SO is this something I should highlight in my application? And if so, how exactly should I introduce that?

most applications have a check box for it. if not, you should find a way to work it into your extracurricular activities or essays.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 13:04
joshhowatt wrote:
thugly921 wrote:

As someone with a similar profile - LGBT, low GPA (I had a 2.58! :lol: ) - here's my thoughts:

GPA: A 3.005 is not the worst thing in the world. The fact that you have taken additional courses at NYU and done well in them will definitely alleviate some of the Ad Com's concerns. Taking and doing well in a calculus or math course at a local college over the summer will help. And of course, if you ace the GMAT, that will go along way too.

LGBT: As thugly921 pointed out, being LGBT puts you in the minority applicant pool, and all else being equal it will give you a slight advantage as schools try to round out their classes with diversity. In regards to how to show this, there's a few ways. 1) If there's a check box on the app, check it! 2) Look up the LGBT association/club and get in touch with current members. They are more than happy to give you advice and support throughout the entire application process, and you can highlight this interaction in your essays or interviews. 3) Finally, you can weave it into your essays. You can talk about how you volunteered at a shelter for homeless LGBT youth...how you look forward to contributing to the school's LGBT club...or how much you admire Oprah. :lol:

I have admits from a number of schools similar to the ones you mentioned, so it can definitely be done!
Re: Profile Evaluation - Low GPA (among other things)   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2012, 13:04