Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation LSE MSc Student

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation LSE MSc Student [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 22:10
Hello I will be joining London School of Economics for the Program MSc Management and Strategy. Now this program was earlier known as MSc Management but LSE has introduced a 2 yr MSc Management Prog for which they have changed the name of the MSc Management(1yr) to Msc Management and Strategy.

As per world ranking of FT it is presently ranked 4th.

I am interested in working for a consultancy firm as a Management Consultant probably in the BIg4(Mck, E%Y, PWC, Deloitte) for sometime before applying for MBA Prog from the top 4. Its my dream to be in top 10MBA colleges of the world and it is for this reason I want to start early towards my expedition. I want to attain a top position in Consultancy firm which becomes easier with a Phd or a MBA. I am keen on a MBA.

It is in this regard I am requesting to evaluate my profile. And please give in your useful suggestion for helping me achieve my goal.

Age(as of June18/06/2010) 20

Will be joining LSE Program in September 2010.

1 Undergrad Economics Honors from Delhi University(one of the top Univ in India)
2. Graduating with a higher first class(expected)
3. School topper in Grade 12th for my stream
4. School House Captain
5. Completed several projects for corporates such as SBI, Tata(on nano), E&Y,
6. Member of AIESEC- worlds largest youth run organisation( alumni status)
7. Completed a survey for Postal Department Government of India
8. Won several Bplan competition
9. One of my Business Model selected by Government of India to be rolled out as a pilot project in North Eastern States of India
10. Member of School Debating, Football, Cricket team
11. Strong NGO related profile during school and college
12. No industrial experience as of now
13. Testimonies from principals.
Also with my above profile please indicate a score range which might be acceptable for the top10 colleges for MBA. I have heard that for Indian candidates the general score to be considered is 20-30 points more than the average. Kindly throw some light on this.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

Re: Profile evaluation LSE MSc Student [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 10:25
Expert's post
Hello,

You're still very young compared to the average age of students entering top-ten MBA programs, so it's hard to give you much concrete advice yet. I would advise, however, that you spend the next few years focused on achieving some big accomplishments on the job, making a positive impact on your community, and building the profile of a promising young professional. Those things can help your MBA candidacy far more than a great GMAT score or ultra-high marks in school. (Those latter things matter a lot, of course, but business schools really mean it when they say they look at far more than just your GMAT score and your grades.)

I think that GMAT thing that you've heard is really a myth. Indian applicants often have very high GMAT score, and schools can't take all of them, so the Indian applicants you see at top schools do tend to have very strong GMAT scores. But don't confuse correlation with causation there.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile evaluation LSE MSc Student [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 09:50
Thank you so much for ur advise I will keep that in mind.