Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation M/33/720 (Expected)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation M/33/720 (Expected) [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 05:40
Hi,
I would need you help to evaluate my profile. I'm interested in applying full-time 1 year MBA programs especially in INSEAD.
I'm male, 33 years old expecting a GMAT score of 720-730.
I've 10 years of experience, 7 years of which is international experience involving multiple countries in IT. For the last 3 years, I'm working as Project Manager on national level multi-milion dollar projects which involve dealing with governments, private sectors and long list of vendors/partners based in different countries (Middle East, India, Singapore, US)
I've two master degrees; one in Computer Science (full time in 2003) while other in Operations Research (part time in 2008) in addition to a bachelors in Computer Science
I’m not much of a “sport” person. However, for extracurricular activities, I along with other friends run a small group which helps disadvantage/underprivileged people to start their small businesses so they can become finically independent. The help is in the form of interest-free-loan, using our contacts to get them work for their businesses, helping them initial business planning, help these small businesses to co-operate with each other to expand etc.

I'm from sub-continent (but not from India)

What are my chances to getting into a full time mba program considering I’m bit old, already have double masters and have a baggage of IT experience. Will double master be a disadvantage for my application? Can my 3 years’ experience as project manager compensate 7 years of IT experience?
My main reason of doing MBA is to break the glass ceiling. Unfortunately 

MsPA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation M/33/720 (Expected) [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 13:08
Expert's post
Hi MsPineapple,

You have a strong application. Your double masters degree will not necessarily be a disadvantage, but it will be very important that you explain why you are pursuing an MBA. Admissions teams do not want to accept candidates who they believe are just collecting degrees.

For your age, you should not be concerned about an imaginary cut-off age. However, admissions teams will be looking for progress and leadership experience in your career. I recommend you read this case study of an engineer:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation M/33/720 (Expected) [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 23:03
Hi Stacy,
Thanks for your evaluation. Unfortunately, I did not score very well. I took the exam in January and could only score 660 (Q 49, V 31). I'm not sure whether this score will be enough to get admission in INSEAD in round 3? or should I retake the exam and try for next year?
Any advise?

MsP.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation M/33/720 (Expected) [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 09:29
Expert's post
Hi MsP,

I recommend that you retake the GMAT and apply next year. Final rounds for a given school (be it round 3 or round 4) are often a bad strategy. For many schools, this is the time they are focused on completing their class and picking very specific profiles. In addition, if you submit an application in March and are not admitted, you do not have much time to regroup and improve your profile before reapplying in October for the next season.

Best,

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation M/33/720 (Expected) [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 10:49
Hi Stacy,

I've seen a lot that regarding 3rd round you say that schools are looking for specific profiles. What exactly do you mean with "specific profile"?. If 3rd round is so bad strategy why schools have it?, why don't they have just 2 rounds with more time distance?.
Regards
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation M/33/720 (Expected) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 09:38
Expert's post
Hi Latinapp,

Business schools have a third round because they are looking to complete their class. Unfortunately the specific profile depends on the school and the year. As an example, if you are applying to UC Berkeley Haas and in one particular year the school has accepted a high percentage of students working in finance in the 1st and 2nd round, then in the 3rd round they will be looking for more candidates from other backgrounds. Likewise, they may have accepted a high number of entrepreneurs, etc in earlier rounds. It depends on the particular situation that the business school is in.

Best,