Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation - Management [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 01:47
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review my profile!

Nationality: Swedish

Academics: One of the top Swedish universities: Bachelor in Business Administration specialized in strategic management. Exchange semester at University of Melbourne, management courses solely.
GPA: 3.6
GMAT: 720 (48Q 40V)

Work ex:
27 months @ TNS (market research, global market information and business analysis) as a Research Executive for Employee Research & Consulting department. Responsible for coordinating surveys and held trainings at customers. Full time between high school and university (most people take 1-2 gap years between high school and university in Sweden)
4 months @ TNS. Same as above but during the breaks at uni.
2 months @ TNS. Summer internship as a Junior Controller at Finance department. Developed consolidation models for client and departmental revenue recognition, used for head office reporting.
1 month so far (15 at Matriculation) @ TNS as a Project Manager at Employee Research & Consulting. Responsible for research projects with up to 30000 respondents, will be consulting as a PM at customers as well.
(+ extra work during my whole study period)

ECs
Responsible at my university for a network that facilitate the recruitment process for companies looking for talented university students.
Head chef at university festival - responsible for catering to performers
Team coach soccer team - have been coaching a soccer team during my summer breaks from university

Goals
MBA specialization: Management
Short term: Working at a management consultant agency
Long term: Starting a management consultant agency

Target schools:
NYU stern
Columbia
London Business School

Questions:
Is my profile good enough to apply to any of these schools?
Will my work experience between high school and university be considered?
Any suggestions you may have?

Once again, thank you in advance for evaluating my profile!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - Management [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 06:19
Expert's post
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the detailed info. Since it is common in Sweden to take a 1-2 year gap between high school and college, I do think that the ad coms will consider your work experience during that time; however, since you only worked roughly 2 years full time, you may want to wait until you have another year or two of full-time work experience under your belt to apply. Alternatively, you could apply now and then reapply in a couple years if you do not get in.

I think you'll have plenty of stories to demonstrate leadership between your experience at TNS and your college activities. Your academics are quite strong, so that is great. There are only two gaps in your profile: 1) lack of community service activities and 2) lack of post college work and life experience. You could overcome the former, but I am not totally sure how they'll handle the latter at any of your target schools.

Generally speaking, the ad com seeks candidates with 3-5 years post-college work experience and who have kept up their extracurriculars, community and leadership activities while working. In your case, you'll be relying mostly on stories from university for extracurricular and community work, which is not the ideal. There are some universities though that are starting to welcome younger students (HBS, Wharton are among them), but those candidates have to have done extraordinary things in undergrad to be admitted.

I think you'd have a much better shot at these schools if you did continue at TNS in a full time capacity for a year or two post-college, and during that time take a leadership position in some kind of community organization that you are passionate about. And of course, keep up with the soccer coaching, etc. If you did these things, I think your profile would be pretty competitive at those schools. If you're eager to apply sooner rather than later, there is no harm in calling the ad coms at these schools and asking their perspective about your lack of post-college full time work experience. Your targeting the right level of schools, it's just a matter of your experience level.

Hope this helps!
Mili
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation - Management [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 01:05
mbaMissionMili wrote:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the detailed info. Since it is common in Sweden to take a 1-2 year gap between high school and college, I do think that the ad coms will consider your work experience during that time; however, since you only worked roughly 2 years full time, you may want to wait until you have another year or two of full-time work experience under your belt to apply. Alternatively, you could apply now and then reapply in a couple years if you do not get in.

I think you'll have plenty of stories to demonstrate leadership between your experience at TNS and your college activities. Your academics are quite strong, so that is great. There are only two gaps in your profile: 1) lack of community service activities and 2) lack of post college work and life experience. You could overcome the former, but I am not totally sure how they'll handle the latter at any of your target schools.

Generally speaking, the ad com seeks candidates with 3-5 years post-college work experience and who have kept up their extracurriculars, community and leadership activities while working. In your case, you'll be relying mostly on stories from university for extracurricular and community work, which is not the ideal. There are some universities though that are starting to welcome younger students (HBS, Wharton are among them), but those candidates have to have done extraordinary things in undergrad to be admitted.

I think you'd have a much better shot at these schools if you did continue at TNS in a full time capacity for a year or two post-college, and during that time take a leadership position in some kind of community organization that you are passionate about. And of course, keep up with the soccer coaching, etc. If you did these things, I think your profile would be pretty competitive at those schools. If you're eager to apply sooner rather than later, there is no harm in calling the ad coms at these schools and asking their perspective about your lack of post-college full time work experience. Your targeting the right level of schools, it's just a matter of your experience level.

Hope this helps!
Mili
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

Hi Mili,

Thank you very much for your evaluation!
As I really want to continue my studies next fall (2013) would a MiM program be more suitable choice for my profile? I have looked into LBS and HEC Paris and both have MiM programs that look interesting!
Also, would my profile be more competitive when applying to those programs? And if applying for them, should I improve my profile in any other way?

Phil
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation - Management [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 06:19
Expert's post
Hi Phil,

Glad to help. To be perfectly honest, I'm not as familiar with the requirements for MiM programs, but I do believe that there would be less of an emphasis on post-college work experience and extracurricular/community activities. It sounds like it could be a great option for you, but you'd need to do a little more research to find out the requirements, etc. Sorry not to be more helpful on that one!

Cheers,
Mili