Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Marketing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE: Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Marketing [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 08:33
Hi Stacy,

Just to say first off that I really appreciate your help to all those "in need" in this forum.

It would be very helpful if you could shine some light on my case, based on the profile below:

Profile: 25yr old, Female, Chinese Ethnicity, Canadian Nationality living in Singapore
GPA: 3.1 (unfortunately!)
Undergrad: Bachelors of Commerce, Major in Marketing, concentration in Global Strategy
GMAT: 710 (Verb: 42/ Quant: 46 / AWA: 5.5 )
Fluent Languages: English, Cantonese, Mandarin, German
Work Experience (to date): 2 years at a boutique brand and design agency responsible for account servicing, brand strategy and copywriting for local and international brands.
Extra Curricular (currently): volunteer for ad-hoc community events, German teacher on the weekends, Football team
Extra Curricular (during university): Volunteer at the school's daycare, tutor at the literacy center, winner of an inter-university marketing competition in my last year at university
Areas of Interest in MBA: Global Marketing, Product Development. MBAs with a creative emphasis. Creativity and Innovation are important factors to me - for both my personal and professional growth.
Why an MBA? Looking to an MBA to help give me a boost up the ladder and to open up doors of opportunity in in-house marketing and product development.

I've actually already applied to Kellogg and Haas as they are stronger in the Marketing/Creative aspect, which is what I am interested in (and have gotten an interview with one of the schools already). That said, I'm not sure that my chances of getting in are very high and am looking to apply to another one or 2 schools.

1. How would you consider my chances of getting into Kellogg & Haas?
2. Any other schools you would suggest?
3. I am also considering ESADE, but concerned about the political/financial state that the country is in, and how that would impact me securing a job locally (as a non-EU national) upon graduation. Any thoughts or advice?

Sorry about the long message, but hope that you can share your professional insight on this.

Thank you very much in advance!

A.M.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Marketing [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 22:39
Expert's post
Hi pumpum,

You have a strong candidacy. What will be most important now is that you present yourself well through your personal essays and recommendations. These are often overlooked parts of one's application, however they will determine whether you are accepted.

Kellogg and Haas are both world class institutions. Below is school specific advice for each program:

Haas: http://www.stacyblackman.com/category/u ... as-advice/
Kellogg: http://www.stacyblackman.com/category/n ... gg-advice/

With regards to ESADE, you should consider where you would like to work post-graduation. The opportunities provided will be very different than those from Haas and Kellogg.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap