Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation- Mehul Sayani

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Profile Evaluation- Mehul Sayani [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:09
Hi,
Can somebody evaluate my profile and help me with my admission process? Also, which colleges should I apply to. Is it possible to get into Harvard, Wharton or Oxford? Following are my details:-
Name- Mehul Sayani
GMAT score - 710
AWA- 5/6
IR- 5/8
Under Graduate score - 7.6/10
Pass out Year
Under Graduate College- VJTI (autonomous) Mumbai University
VJTI was ranked #22 by the India Today Best Engineering colleges 2012 and 32 by Outlook India Top Engineering Colleges of 2012. In rankings limited to private colleges it was ranked #7 by Mint Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009
High School (SSC)- 87.83%
Work Experience - 1.5 years in an IT company(received 2-3 appreciations from the client)
Plan to work till I join the university
In the college, Worked for various events and festivals.
Worked as the General Secretary of Sponsorship of National Level College Festival (Led a team of 7 ppl)
Worked as the General Secretary of Sponsorship for two other events in the under grad years.
Besides that, Won the second runners-up in dance competition in First and Fourth year and First prize in Second and Third year.
Won multiple competitions in school including district level Science quiz, participated in the project competition organized by National Organization "Indian National Science Congress"
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation- Mehul Sayani [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 22:10
Expert's post
Hi Mehul,

Thanks for sharing your profile. You may or may not be aware that you come from a demographic that is overrepresented in the MBA applicant pool: Indian Male IT professionals. That being said, sadly, the bar is much higher to differentiate yourself from others in order to get into top programs. Let's break your profile down:

Academics: I would say you are middle of the pack as far as your applicant pool goes. Decent GMAT and average GPA. Nothing that will really differentiate you though.

Professional Experience: Average/low. I'm not sure what your job role is, but it seems to me that you are an IT professional. Generally speaking, this career track does not offer much room early on for leadership experience, which is a critical factor in MBA admissions. They want to see that you've not only worked in teams but also led and managed teams/projects formally or informally.

Extracurricular/Community: It looks like you were an active leader in college, but not since then. This is typical among applicants in your candidate pool, so it will be difficult to differentiate in this dimension.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but taking all this into account, I believe that Harvard and Wharton are not realistic schools for you. Oxford may be possible, but I cannot say for certain. I'd suggest that you look at programs in the range of Cornell, Tepper, Fisher, Kelley, Boston University, Smeal. Alternatively, you could work very hard for a few years and make some big changes to reposition your candidacy for business school.

Sorry that this was not the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope it is helpful in determining your next steps.

Best,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter