Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Mining Engineer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Profile Evaluation: Mining Engineer [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 20:53
Hii Friends,

Please evaluate my profile. I am about to apply to ISB ( 2nd Round)
The profile features are :
1) Academic Background:
a) Engineering: Mining Engineering (8.13)
College : Indian School of Mines.
Academic Achievements:
a) 4 Gold Medals : World Mining Congress (London)
: W.H.Pickering ( Mining, Geological and
Metallurgical Institute of India )
: 2 University Gold Medals.
b) 2 National level Research papers. (One getting implemented at Tata Steel)
c) Branch Position : 1 st in a batch of 41.
d) Good Extracurricular activities. (University Blue Basketball)

Professional Experience:
Company : Tata Steel.
Total Exp : 3 Years.
Professional Achievements :
1) Division representative in Tata Steel.
2) Leader of Emergency Team in UG Fire.
3) Mountaineering Uttarkashi : A Grade. (15000 feet)
4) Manager (Operations) : Lead a team of 256 Mining Associates.
5) Manager (Development): Mine planning of 280 MT Material Output Mine.
6) Manager (Knowledge Management) (additional).

2) I have resigned from Tata Steel and started my own social venture. Its at pilot level, and trying to obtain funds from Venture capitalists.The project is addresses basic needs of farmers as well as has great business feasibility.

Well friends, there are other features also, but I think this should suffice. My Gmat Scores are:
GMAT 1: 640 (Q 50, V 27 ).
GMAT 2: 710 (Q 50, V 35 ).

I would be obliged, if I can have your comments and critical evaluation of my profile.

I am targetting the following universities:
1) ISB 2011 (Round 2).
2) Kellog.
3) Wharton.
4) Yale.
5) INSEAD.

All you comments are most valuable. Please do leave your comments.

Thanks in advance friends....
Praveen

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation: Mining Engineer [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 20:35
Expert's post
Hi Praveen,

Very impressive profile - I think you will fare pretty well so long as you convey the right career goals and path. You had a lot of leadership experience in your three years at Tata. In addition to showcasing those abilities with great stories, you also need to share with the reader what those three years did for your long-term vision. What did you do, experience, and learn in those three years that has led to you starting this now venture? If you have the right ingredients there, your decision to make a bold move into social enterprise becomes a great platform for your applications. This is because many, many, MANY applicants tell a social enterprise story for their career vision, but few can back it up. Even fewer can back it up with true, radical action. Stepping out into the abyss and just going for it.

So that could be huge. Next, you will have to deal with the Why an MBA? question. What does the MBA bring you that will be critical to the success of this venture? Knowledge? Network? Pedigree? All three? Make sure the school understands why you need a degree from their program, especially when there is a view of entrepreneurship that suggests time spent in school is time wasted. (This is not the prevailing view or the emerging view, but it's a view nonetheless.) Get out in front of any head scratching. Convince the school you know exactly what you are doing and convince them of their necessity in that process.

Finally, consider Tuck as one of your programs. This is a place where social enterprise and innovation are prized and where they will have interest in partnering with you to make that happen. Not only that, but due to Tuck's location, you will be competing in a more shallow demographic.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: Profile Evaluation: Mining Engineer [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 03:01
Thanks Paul for profile evaluation :)

I would like to elaborate on Why MBA? and What after MBA?
I will try to sum up the turn of events in short, so that you get a total picture.

After having worked for 3 years in Mining, I realized that I am wasting my talent. In crude sense, if I continue any job, or business I am exploiting my skill sets for wealth accumulation. I consider myself lucky to have taken birth in a family, which was capable enough to teach me, and feed me. The poor children has only one fault. They have taken birth in a family that was poor and was not capable enough to provide 2 meals a day. A single mistake, and fate gets sealed.

Having realized about my selfishness, I decided that this is not what I want from my life. Even towards the end, if I am able to bring education, food, shelter, and employment to even 100 families, I have made my life. I resigned from Tata Steel in furtherance of my goal.

I have a dream project: Project Bharti. Since my objective is poverty elimination, the basis of project remains altruistic. But it cannot spend continuously, and hence it should have some cash inflow. I have designed "Bharti" in a manner that it becomes a complete package to poor family. It provides employment, education, Organic Product, Best quality, and green environment. Moreover, the project also have profitability upto a tune of 25% return.

I went villages,and met various farmers. With all my savings, I purchased a small piece of land. The expanse I have planned requires greater investment. I met Venture-Capitalists, but coud'nt obtain much funds. And in these 3 months, after knocking Govt. Agencies doors, I realize that I need to have my basic capital so that I can atleast run a pilot cycle. Once the returns are proven, I can grow the expanse.

Why MBA Now? In short it will help me in following ways.
1) Provide a platform to obtain funds from VCs.
2) Fine tune my business plan.
3) It will expedite the level of operations that I want to attain in short period of time.

After MBA, I will join Consultancy and will work for 3-4 years. In these years, I will
1) Build Contacts,Resources, and Team.
2) My company will have 3 years of Working experience, and this will enable us to obtain funds from NABARD(National Bank for Agriculture and Rural development).
3) I can apply for Organic product certification.

This is what I want to do, and what I want to be in my life.
I strongly believe that Hands that work for others are much better than Lips that pray. :)

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."