Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation & more..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 33

Profile Evaluation & more.. [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 07:56
Hi!
I just re-took my Gmat today, in the hope of closing a few questions. But as it turns out it worked just the opposite!

Gmat #1: 710 (47/40); the percentile splits were (77/92) AWA 5.0
Gmat #2 :680 (50/32); percentile splits (90/65) ( I am still to come to terms with the verbal score! still await the AWA and IR)

I am wondering how do the top schools interpret this result? And is there is difference in the way which schools like Kellogg/Wharton/Stanford/ Columbia view this and the rest of the business schools?

Also I would love your comments on my candidature to Kellogg/Wharton/Stanford/ Columbia. I am looking for a strong program in marketing.

Brief introduction:

Indian, Male
Education: Degree in Engineering (Distinction), Diploma in International Business Laws & corporate laws

Will have 5yrs of Work ex at matriculation
Currently working in the energy sector - am a business developer for a consultancy service that works to improve energy efficiency in the industries. Work directly at the front end to promote sales at key customers
Have lead unique marketing projects such as implementation of social media tool a manufacturing sector environment, have won industry awards for digital media campaigns
A bass guitarist and started a band at the work place.

Look forward to hear from you guys!
Thanks,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation & more.. [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 00:29
Expert's post
With a 710, you can certainly take a shot at these top schools. As for the split, there's nothing unusual about it really. It's a bit skewed, but nothing that really needs to be explained, I don't think. As for how the different business schools perceive the split: probably about the same. Yes, there is a slight preference for a "more balanced score", but really, to be honest, in your profile, there are about 100 other things that are more important (your leadership, promotion schedule, achievements, essays, recommendations, volunteer work, to name a few :) )

Your chances will depend a bit on your GPA the school you graduated from as well as your job success. One good thing is that you aren't in IT! (which makes the pool a bit larger). when you do apply, I'd say apply with more specific goals than "marketing", but keep it to what you know, i.e. "Energy Marketing". It will probably be easier to sell yourself as a successful candidate if you are more specific.

Goooooood luck to ya!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation & more.. [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 06:50
Thanks Jon for your reply! Just to make my question pertaining to the GMAT more clear, I thought Quant scores above 80% were essential for the top schools. while I did better that and for Q50 (90%) in my second test, the verbal fell from V40 to V32. Is that alarming? Additionally given that both the scores will be visible to the schools ( correct me) would the adcom take the effort to see the improvement in Quant in test 2 or do i need to explicitly bring that out?

Thanks a lot!
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation & more.. [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 22:25
Expert's post
vibhav wrote:
Thanks Jon for your reply! Just to make my question pertaining to the GMAT more clear, I thought Quant scores above 80% were essential for the top schools. while I did better that and for Q50 (90%) in my second test, the verbal fell from V40 to V32. Is that alarming? Additionally given that both the scores will be visible to the schools ( correct me) would the adcom take the effort to see the improvement in Quant in test 2 or do i need to explicitly bring that out?

Thanks a lot!

You are right that having a quant above 80 is recommended. But having a higher GMAT score is far more important as it is this which schools report and which ultimately will play a role in the ranking they are assigned, so your overall score is FAR more important. Now, like I wrote its not that its entirely unimportant (it would have been better if you had a more balanced score), but still, there are more important things. The school will not look at your quant score from your second test. They do not split scores and wont care. What you CAN do though if you are concerned about how your quant score is perceived, and you dont work in a quant-heavy industry is take a math course or two before you matriculate to strengthen your quant side of things.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation & more.. [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 07:27
Thanks Jon! My work in the field of energy consulting does require constant math that deals with thermal equations and thermodynamics. I also have an engineering background. Admittedly my engineering math scores are modest. I am in the process of implementing your suggestion to bolster my quant score and am planning to do a course in data interpretation and analysis. Its more on statistics and deals with linear regression etc., a 6 month offline course from a globally recognized university ( it may be a non-credit course). In your opinion would this suffice? I felt this will also benefit my marketing background.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation & more.. [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 03:47
Expert's post
Good idea! I think that, plus a bit of emphasis in your essays about how much tough quant work you do do already will help you fend off this potential perceived weakness.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com