Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation Msc: Italian Male, 26, Law & Telco BG [#permalink]
Expert Reply
madmaker wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hello there sir,

Well your GPA doesn't look that bad at all. A 3.6 is mighty fine (as is a 99/110.. although I have to say, it's a pretty strange system).

the strength of your application will ultimately depend on WHAT you have done at work, as well as HOW WELL you have done. I don't really see this info here, but let's say that if you can get a good GMAT I think you should be competitive at the schools you listed.

As for RSM, their program is in English, so no reason not to apply.
:)

Best,
Jon

Hello, and thank You for the fast answer.
Well, I must precise that in those schools the minimum required is an italian 106 out of 110, as it is stated in their websites, and thats why I am afraid about my possibilities.
About what I do, in the law firm I am responsible for legal research, drafting documents, preparation and management of court actions together with the lawyer in the areas of Employment Law, Debt Collection, Legal Translation, Litigation.
Also, I am the technology consultant of the firm, and my duties include the improving of the efficiency of the firm using cloud computing, document management tools, BYOD facilities and also a variety of legal applications.
Regarding my other job, first of all I have to talk about my company, that is an Italian telecommunications company with 1600 employees and € 32 million revenue in 2013
I am Member of a 2nd line support function Service Desk team of experts that provides technical assistance for fixed-line, mobile and converged technology across an ecosystem of various customers (large multinational corporates), 24/7 coverage.
I must specify that, after my graduation, I received a job offer from my company to become a shift responsible for a business unit made of 500 employees, but I have refused because I would like to complete my legal education with the apprenticeship in a law firm.
About extracurriculars, during High School I played basketball at a semi-professional level (I played in 4 teams, including one in the 4th Italian category). During the University, I did a rowing interregional tournament with the Italian Navy League Team, and played guitar in 3 groups.
Regarding RSM, I read that studying in a country without knowing the local language could be a problem when it comes to finding a job..
Hope this will help :)
Thank You again.
Marco

Dear Marco,
So, first of all as far as I know there is no such thing as a "minimum", and I don't know exactly how the grading system works in Italy, but I still think your grades are likely good enough. In general, all applications are reviewed holistically, and yes, although it may be PREFERABLE that you have a 110, I don't think that a 99 should put you out of the game. And as far as what I know of RSM, Warwick, Imperial your 3.6 should be good.

Because even if your GPA is on the weak side, you have other strengths - like I wrote, esp. your law experience. Some VERY useful stuff.

Regarding RSM, and European schools in general: You should realize that a lot of people go to school in one country and then work in another. So although you are right that it is certainly harder to get a job in a country where you do not speak the language, you don't necessarily work there after graduation. Also, as far as I understand (and take this as unverified hearsay) Holland, Germany and the northern countries are far more willing to give people jobs on the basis of English. You might eventually have to learn the language in order to advance properly, but given time I am sure you can do that.

As a consultant, I should say that regardless of the "linguistic obstacles" or the economy of a whole country, the most important things to look at are the specific schools placement statistics, esp. in the industry/region of your choice. These facts are FAR more telling than just "vague ideas" we tend to pick up about employability.

I hope this helps!

Best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts