Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 09:03

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Much Appreciated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Profile Evaluation Much Appreciated [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 17:35
Basics:
Male / 24 / USA

Undergrad:
Purdue University / Selling & Sales Management / GPA: 3.58
Not a heavy quant major; however, among the match courses I did take (trig, statistics, finance, accounting) I received A's.

GMAT: 690 (43Q, 41V) [taken ~4 times]
I would feel much more comfortable with a higher GMAT score (esp a higher quant score). However, on my last attempt my score dropped by 10 points to a 680 (Q44, V38). Therefore, unless I spend another month or two to studying, I’m not sure if I can make an improvement—and to be honest, I’m so frustrated that I'm leaning towards calling it finished and keeping my 690. BUT, if it turns out that 10-20 points is what's holding me back from my target schools then I'll force myself to continue the pursuit (but after a decent break). Also, in regards to having taken the GMAT 4 times now, it's worthy to note that during my first attempt I experienced a significant administrative error and was given a chance to take the test again free of charge by the GMAC-however, despite my request, I'm not sure if my first official score (620) was cancelled (though I'm not sure if this even matters).

Work Experience:
Sales & Purchasing (1 year ago-current): B2B sales & purchasing for a small business that designs, manufacturers, and sells industrial equipment and specialized heavy-duty automotive fleets (think car haulers, severe service vehicles, waste/recycling vehicles). Responsible for managing several significant government and commercial accounts. – Without going into a lot of detail, due to the fact that we’re such a small business (<20 employees), I’ve been given quite a lot of freedom & responsibility with my position. This has subsequently provided me with increasing amounts of managerial responsibilities and some leadership opportunities. I'm hoping that I can use the small size of this company to my advantage as so many applicants to top schools seem to come from large organizations.

President (6mo ago-current): Start-up company - we have the exclusive distribution rights to an energy conservation unit designed for industrial and commercial lighting systems. Unit is manufactured and guaranteed by General Electric. It's still a relatively new product and venture, however, we have a handful of prospects lined up that are willing to give it/us a try. We’re just waiting on a few items to materialize over the next 2 months before I’m comfortable with moving forward. At this early stage I'm constantly involved with on-going negotiations with the manufacturer and patent holders (per product & price), handling all clerical & marketing objectives, meeting with prospects, and managing 3 sales people and 2 electrical contractors. At the very least, I hope that I can leverage my leadership role in this position to make up for any lack of it in the rest of my profile.

I graduated last year and therefore only have one year of full time post-grad work experience. However, my game plan is to hold off on applying to B-School for another 2 years (so that I'll have 3 years of solid experience at matriculation).

Community Involvement (post grad):
1.) Instructor of a weekly literacy class at the main jail in my city. Instructing classes consisting of 20-30 inmates per session who want to improve their reading and writing or work towards a GED.
2.) GED tutor at a half-way house for women transitioning from prison back to society while they raise their young children. I tutor groups of 1-3 individuals at a time, helping with homework, answering questions, and explaining difficult topics.
3.) Micro Mentor – Business mentor for two entrepreneurs that are starting their own business. I speak twice per month over phone/e-mail with two separate entrepreneurs—facilitating brainstorming and providing feedback for their marketing, networking, and other general business ideas. I make sure, going into the relationship, that these entrepreneurs don’t think of me as an expert and instead as an outside evaluator. Because, as I have learned from my own entrepreneurship ventures—it's always helpful have someone to bounce your ideas off of.

My Future MBA Plan:
To keep it brief, my reasoning for obtaining an MBA is three fold: 1.) Gain the knowledge necessary to Improve my chances for success as an entrepreneur, 2.) Develop managerial & strategic consulting and analysis skills, 3.) Fulfill my passion for academics (esp in regards to business subjects).

My target schools are:
1. Northwestern (Kellogg)
2. NYU (Stern)
3. Duke (Fuqua)
4. Yale
5. Cornell (Johnson)

Given my undergrad history, my somewhat untraditional work experience (~3 years at matriculation), my community involvement, combined with my mediocre GMAT score—what would be my chances for admittance at the aforementioned schools?

Truly any advice would be very helpful...
And a big thanks in advance to anyone that is willing to read & comment!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: Profile Evaluation Much Appreciated [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 13:55
Expert's post
Hi MDF,

Overall, I think you're thinking about things the right way. Yes, still too early for you to apply now, but in another 2-3 years you should be in the "sweet spot" in terms of years of full-time work experience.

Re: the GMAT, don't worry about looking like you took it too many times. I know you're frustrated, but think about it this way: All the things in your past and can’t be changed: your undergraduate transcript, your work experience to date, your community involvement to date, etc. From today going forward, the only things you still control are: your GMAT, your essays, your letters of recommendation, your additional work experience (which is obviously very important), maybe additional college coursework, and your interview, if you get to that point.

So, it’s in your interest to devote everything you can to getting that score to where you want it to be, since it’s one of the few things you can still control! A 680 or 690 isn't bad at all, but if you have a couple of more years before you apply, wouldn't you rather apply to Kellogg and Stern with a 720 than a 690? I'd rather that you had a 720, although you certainly can get in with a 690. But, if you want it that badly, and you have the time, why wouldn't you try again?

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Much Appreciated [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 14:55
Thanks for the reply!

I appreciate your input.

I'm going to take a month or two off from the GMAT to clear my head. Then hopefully I can buckle down hard for a month or two and break into the low 700s!

You're absolutely right though, I might as well do all I can given that I'm still a year or two away from applying.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership