Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation & my reach to colleges

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: Sales (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation & my reach to colleges [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 02:39
Hi,

Below is my profile details :

GMAT : 700 ( 1st attempt).
GPA : 8.0/10 ( Top college in India Est. 1887)
90% in 10th & 12th Standard ( CBSE)

Work Experience : 4.2 years
1st college graduate in India with a US MNC working with sales team as technology consultant. Currently handling India & SAARC region customers and part of the Go-To-Market strategy for the region. Mentoring new members and designing their training program. Mentored Business partners in the region for customer facing interactions. Completed various certifications within the organization for technical acceptance. Youngest & the most senior member on the team currently.

Extra-curricular :
Head boy of the school
General secretary of the Engineering college ( Responsible for a team of 200+ members)
CEO for the National Level Annual College Technical Festival ( 40K+ USD budget)
Co-founder for Entrepreneurship-Cell in college ( collaborate with NEN network, India).
Co-founder for sponsorship cell in college ( 1st person to start the sponsorship activity and brought 30K USD investment).
Best All rounder during school.

Community Services :
UNV Volunteer - Helped AAE group to promote ideas for expanding in Africa
Organized Blood Camp at Organization I'm working.
Adopted 1 school in a village in U.P as CSR activity (on behalf of the company).
Taught science to school children - Don Bosco Ashalayam ( Near to my place).

The objectives are below :
1) My Long term objective is to be an Entrepreneur in Tech sector .
2) My short term objective is to learn Strategy, Marketing, Operations to broaden my horizon. ( I'm comfortable with Technology & Sales).
3) Post MBA I'll be looking at consulting firms to recuit me for strategy ( To gain exposure on different verticals).

Need advise in the following considering the above parameters :. I'm considering for 2014 admission year.

[1] Could you please provide me the list of colleges I can consider for Aspire & Reach :
1) Dream : Stanford ( GSB)
2) Aspire :
3) Reach :

[2] Chances of scholarship & by what percentage usually an average Indian student gets post admission in US. ( including any type of loan).
Also could you let me know the chances of getting scholarship if I improve my score. I'm seriously considering it.

[3] Anything I need to improve upon as I have some time to look back.

Thanks !

[b]Regards,
CrackDGMAT

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation & my reach to colleges [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 15:36
Expert's post
Hi, Bakshana,

Thanks for your post. On the academic front, as long as you scored at least 80th percentile on each section and your equivalent GPA is at least 3.5, you are in the academic range for top programs. The schools will also look at where you plan to go with your career and your skills/experiences to date. You will need to tell a compelling story about why your career goals make sense and how your short term flows into your long term. You will want to demonstrate your experiences to date that are relevant while also hitting on your leadership and softer skills. Make sure you are focusing on community service and extra-curricular activities that are within 3 years of when you apply. These are great ways to show leadership and demonstrate character, but you want the examples to be recent.
Check with the programs on scholarship information so they can point you in the right direction. In terms of the right schools for you, that is going to depend on what you need to learn in an MBA program and the other criteria you have set (geography, program size, teaching style, etc). You will probably want to do a mix of top 10 with some other programs that fit your criteria.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan

Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Intern
Intern
WE: Sales (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation & my reach to colleges [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 04:25
Hi Susan,

Thanks for your insight.
I understand where you are coming from and will surely work on the points you have highlighted.

I'll touch base with you if I any further query with you. Do you have any case study with you which is similar to my profile and my selection list ?
I'll be happy to see if you could share one with me.

Thanks for helping me and others out. Indeed this is a great help for everyone like me.

Regards,
Bakshana

[b]Regards,
CrackDGMAT

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation & my reach to colleges [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 02:26
Expert's post
Hi, Bakshana,

We have worked with applicants similar to your background and can share our insights through these boards and consultations. You could also talk to MBA alumni with similar backgrounds to understand their experiences.

Good luck,

Susan