Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 19:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 05:09
Hi alex,

I have a couple of questions regarding applying for a 2012 MBA.

Undergrad : Top UK (russell group). 2.1 (3.6gpa equivalent) BSc Economics (international). This included a 1 year scholarship to study on the Erasmus exchange program in a prestigious university in Sweden. Furthermore i won a place on a British council program for top students to study in one of china's largest universities for semester.

Work Experience: By matriculation i will have 2 years of experience (and be 25 years of age), at a top 4 British International bank, in a rotational program, which has included rotations in Private Equity and Investment banking as well as corporate banking (with international stints in KL and Shanghai).

While at university i bought and ran two small pizza restaurants with two friends. We sold these on subsequently two years later, at a substantial profit which enabled me to pay completely for my university education.

GMAT : 710.

Extra curricular - I co-founded a charity, The international literacy foundation, which builds and renovates libraries in schools and orphanages around the world. we have completed projects in places such as Kenya and Pakistan with pipeline projects in China, Peru, Egypt and Zambia for the upcoming year. I also am a member of the banks football team, and am on the alumni advisers board for my universities business school advising students on applications and academic/

I am a dual British/ Libyan citizen (lived in England since a very young age) and wish to do my MBA sooner than later in order to hopefully accelerate my career with a view to going back to Libya one day in the near future (say 6-7 years time) and helping the country get back on its feet after the current crises.

Do you think it would be any sort of advantage to apply as a Libyan citizen over applying as a British citizen? and would you recommend mentioning my motivation for an MBA, or going down more of a generic route of saying i want to go down the PE/VC role, which is my medium term goal after the MBA.

The schools i am thinking of are H/S/W CBS, Oxford and Cambridge. obviously HBS is my first choice.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

MT11
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 09:14
I lived in Tripoli, Libya as a child. Really sad to see what's happening over there.

Anyhow, it's less about your passport (what you are "officially") and more about what you talk about in your essays and interviews. In other words, "diversity" isn't just about your official demographics (gender, nationality, etc.) and more about your own experiences which are a reflection of your culture and interests.

In other words, it's about what you as an individual bring to the table in terms of your experiences. Whether they like you more or like you less has little to do with what you put down as your nationality in the application form, and far more to do with what you talk about in your essays in terms of your own experiences and perspectives as an individual. Remember, they're wanting to bring in diverse INDIVIDUALS, not diverse passports.

In any case, it sounds like you've got a good range of schools - you seem to have chosen a mix of stretches, sweet spots, and safeties (given your list, you know what they are, so no need to ask to reaffirm). It's now just a matter of focusing on doing the best you can on the applications -- and hopefully you'll have a reasonable shot of getting in somewhere.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 11:52
Cool, thats q. interesting, what were you doing over there?

Could you please reiterate the chances of me getting into Harvard. i mean obviously thats under the stretch schools but is it likely id just flat out be rejected ?

I realize that obviously its not just about nationality, but since i have lived in the UK for most of my life what could i add potentially to the class? i mean i participate and worked for the largest ngo in Libya since the age of 16 every summer, building community centers etc (inspiration for ILF) but would this be enough to warrant the diversity card?

I am basically wondering if it is worth it if i apply to harvard this year or if i should wait maybe a couple of years further.

MT11
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 08:46
If you're gunning for HBS, apply sooner than later (after 27, your age will be a handicap there).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues   [#permalink] 03 May 2011, 08:46