Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 09:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 05:10
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding applying for a 2012 MBA.

Undergrad : Top UK (russell group). 2.1 (3.6gpa equivalent) BSc Economics (international). This included a 1 year scholarship to study on the Erasmus exchange program in a prestigious university in Sweden. Furthermore i won a place on a British council program for top students to study in one of china's largest universities for semester.

Work Experience: By matriculation i will have 2 years of experience (and be 25 years of age), at a top 4 British International bank, in a rotational program, which has included rotations in Private Equity and Investment banking as well as corporate banking (with international stints in KL and Shanghai).

While at university i bought and ran two small pizza restaurants with two friends. We sold these on subsequently two years later, at a substantial profit which enabled me to pay completely for my university education.

GMAT : 710.

Extra curricular - I co-founded a charity, The international literacy foundation, which builds and renovates libraries in schools and orphanages around the world. we have completed projects in places such as Kenya and Pakistan with pipeline projects in China, Peru, Egypt and Zambia for the upcoming year. I also am a member of the banks football team, and am on the alumni advisers board for my universities business school advising students on applications and academic/

I am a dual British/ Libyan citizen (lived in England since a very young age) and wish to do my MBA sooner than later in order to hopefully accelerate my career with a view to going back to Libya one day in the near future (say 6-7 years time) and helping the country get back on its feet after the current crises.

Do you think it would be any sort of advantage to apply as a Libyan citizen over applying as a British citizen? and would you recommend mentioning my motivation for an MBA, or going down more of a generic route of saying i want to go down the PE/VC role, which is my medium term goal after the MBA.

The schools i am thinking of are H/S/W CBS, Oxford and Cambridge. Obviously HBS is my first choice.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

MT11
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 02:54
Expert's post
mt11 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding applying for a 2012 MBA.

Undergrad : Top UK (russell group). 2.1 (3.6gpa equivalent) BSc Economics (international). This included a 1 year scholarship to study on the Erasmus exchange program in a prestigious university in Sweden. Furthermore i won a place on a British council program for top students to study in one of china's largest universities for semester.

Work Experience: By matriculation i will have 2 years of experience (and be 25 years of age), at a top 4 British International bank, in a rotational program, which has included rotations in Private Equity and Investment banking as well as corporate banking (with international stints in KL and Shanghai).

While at university i bought and ran two small pizza restaurants with two friends. We sold these on subsequently two years later, at a substantial profit which enabled me to pay completely for my university education.

GMAT : 710.

Extra curricular - I co-founded a charity, The international literacy foundation, which builds and renovates libraries in schools and orphanages around the world. we have completed projects in places such as Kenya and Pakistan with pipeline projects in China, Peru, Egypt and Zambia for the upcoming year. I also am a member of the banks football team, and am on the alumni advisers board for my universities business school advising students on applications and academic/

I am a dual British/ Libyan citizen (lived in England since a very young age) and wish to do my MBA sooner than later in order to hopefully accelerate my career with a view to going back to Libya one day in the near future (say 6-7 years time) and helping the country get back on its feet after the current crises.

Do you think it would be any sort of advantage to apply as a Libyan citizen over applying as a British citizen? and would you recommend mentioning my motivation for an MBA, or going down more of a generic route of saying i want to go down the PE/VC role, which is my medium term goal after the MBA.

The schools i am thinking of are H/S/W CBS, Oxford and Cambridge. Obviously HBS is my first choice.

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

MT11

I definitely think it makes sense to apply as a Libyan, since there are so few Libyans applying AND because you view it as your home country. All of the programs will want to hear what truly motivates you to earn the MBA. In your case, that doesn't sound to me like it is PE/VC but rather the long-term Libyan rejuvenation. You will certainly need to explain how you plan to reach that goal (in the short- and medium-term), but the schools want to know what you are passionate about - and you are passionate about your goal for Libya.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 05:04
thank you for your response

I am wondering what the chances are of getting into the H/S/W's are. i mean i know these schools are ridiculously competitive, however how does my profile fare compared to the average applicant. would my profile stand out in any way...?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Nationality issues [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 00:45
Expert's post
mt11 wrote:
thank you for your response

I am wondering what the chances are of getting into the H/S/W's are. i mean i know these schools are ridiculously competitive, however how does my profile fare compared to the average applicant. would my profile stand out in any way...?

The parts that stand out for me – and make H/S/W possibilities – are the Libyan background (slim pickings in general), the launch and operation of an international charity organization, the entrepreneurial background, and the current management rotational program with the top British bank. They form a tetrafecta of interesting aspects for the top programs.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog