Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Need your quick help all

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Profile Evaluation - Need your quick help all [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 01:25
Hi everyone, I am currently exploring my option for further study to pursue my dream. I admit, I have not been planning properly and this is why I am in this situation. Further details below before I elaborate:

26yo Male, Australian
Undergrad: 3.3/4.0 GPA (Double degree in Commerce - majoring in Finance and Information Systems. If I only count my finance subjects, the GPA should be higher)
Graduation Date: End of 2011
GMAT: Have not done any preparation for it yet.
Work Experience: I did a one year internship in an FX Middle Office role at one of the BB IBs.
What have I been doing b/w 2012-2013: I did the odd jobs before securing my internship (Jan 2012 - June 2012) and traveled the world after my internship (July 2013 - Jan 2014).

Goal
FO S&T career - leaning more to salestrading, less to Quant roles.

Situation
I am now back in Australia, jobless and going nowhere. I need to get out of this rut and do something with my life. I have decided to further my study and give a career in finance another shot. I am looking for MSc Fin and the like overseas to further my case, mostly in Europe. Not eliminating the US, but it seems most of the courses there are heavily geared towards Math Fin.

My preferred schools would be LSE, Imperial, Warwick, Said and HEC. Cass is interesting too, the subjects offered are strongly related to my area of interests. I am basically looking for masters that are more applied in nature and will help boost my CV , no intention of doing PHD. I would welcome any recommendations that is suitable for my profile.

Question

1) If I were to aim for the aforementioned schools, what would be the recommended GMAT results ?
2) I have missed the deadline for Said. I do understand that some are doing rolling admissions and some have few deadlines for the Sem 2, 2014 intake. If I prepare for my GMAT now and start applying in April, would it be too late and pointless? Should I just wait for next year's intake and in the meantime just try to find some employment? As I assume most places would probably had made plenty of offers by now to students.
3) Do those schools usually look at my GPA as a whole? Or they only care about the finance side?
4) For S & T Career, which school would you recommend? Cass is looking really solid but if combined with reputation, Imperial might be the winner here?
5) Based on my research, since I am Non-EU, finding employment seems to be a mountain to climb. However, would summer/winter internship be doable? Or those internships are usually only for EU/UK citizens.
6) Please feel free to leave out any other comment/advice.

Thanks all for reading this.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Need your quick help all [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 17:10
I always suggest you break out your overall and your major GPA. For those schools (with your GPA) I would target a 700 or at least 680/690.

As far as S&T goes, I would target LSE, Said, Imperial, then Cass. Maybe look at some other strong continental European programs (St. Gallen, Bocconi, IE).

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Profile Evaluation - Need your quick help all [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 17:00
Thanks for the reply MSFHQ.

Do you think it's worth it to apply in April this year? or should I wait for another year?

Because my concern is that it is quite late now and there won't be that many spaces left.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Need your quick help all [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2014, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
I think it depends on your GMAT. Another year won't necessarily help your application. The only benefit of time would be if you needed to retake the GMAT. Otherwise this year is fine.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Re: Profile Evaluation - Need your quick help all   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2014, 11:03