Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GPA: 3.97
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation needed [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 23:06
Hello, my name is Slav. Please tell me what you think about my profile. One thing to consider upon the review is that I need to get a grad student assistantship.

Russian, 21, Male, single
GMAT: 640 (Q42, V35)
McPherson College, spring 2013 (four-year private liberal arts school)
Finance & Accounting major
GPA: 3.97/4.00
Work experience: just 2 summer internships (one in financial, one in Business Intelligence)

Extra-curricular:
Tennis:
Captain of college tennis team (2 years)
Numerous conference and national awards: Scholar of the year, player of the year, champion of character, all-american, etc...
Clubs and other:
Business club member (treasurer), tutor, first-year student mentor, provost assistant, science department student assistant

Lived for 4 years in Spain prior to moving to the US

Also, perhaps you could help me with this. I'm looking at working in IB, consulting or auditing after grad school, so what kind of masters do you think I should get (I don't know if I should choose accounting or finance)?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation needed [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 13:44
I think that you have a good profile. Solid GPA and extra-curricular activities. You don't have a bad GMAT but you may want to improve it depending on the caliber of MBA program.

The masters program is a matter of personal preference.
Accounting: Great skill set and knowledge of financial statements (probably more in-depth coverage than most finance students receive). The only negative aspect (and you may not view this as a negative if you want to be an auditor) is that you will brand yourself as an accountant.

Finance: Is probably more geared towards banking or asset management.

If you really want to go in to consulting, you may want to go for an MBA and not a masters or finance/accounting. However, most MBA programs require work experience so that will likely be a few years down the road.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Re: Profile evaluation needed   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2012, 13:44