Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation needed..gmat 770

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation needed..gmat 770 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 19:30
Hello
I gave my gmat this august(only attempt).
Here is my profile :
EDUCATION:
Matriculation score :83.2%

12th score(Non-Medical-PCM) : 80.4%

Graduation(computer science engineering) : 67%

WORK EXPERIENCE

I did a 2 month internship from BSNL in 2nd year of graduation.

In the 3rd year i launched my own website : yourunsolvedproblems.com . The site has now expired after an year.It was used for commercial purposes but i could not earn much.

I also submitted a website as a final year project.

I am placed in Tata Consultancy Services but expect to join only this january.
Since after college(july)...I have been working with a company in their marketing department.By january,i think my experience would be of around 6 months.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR

I was awarded a certificate,with Grade A, for Business English Certificate Vantage(BEC-Vantage).

I was a member of Computer Science's table tennis as well as cricket team (although i have cricket only for cricket).
I regularly participated in college events,and also organized a week long murder mystery.

I write short stories and poems and publish them on various websites such as booksie.com.
I also write movie scripts and direct short films based on them.

THE GMAT

I scored a 770(Q51 , V44).My AWA was 4.5 and IR was 8 .
Will low awa be a problem ?
UNIVERSITIES
I checked out the websites of some universities which do not require experience as a complusion.I would like to try for the following universities :
UCLA, Universrity of virginia, columbia university, NYU stern , university of chicago booth,cornell or any universities of that level.
I would also like to know what my chances are,for getting into one of these schools this year and for getting a scholarship. What would my chances be if i work in tcs for a year and then apply?. I am more willing to try now.
Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation needed..gmat 770 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 08:31
Expert's post
That high a GMAT is a differentiator so I would say it would be worth your while to try now as long as you have a clear vision for why now makes sense in your career. I would also look at HBS and Yale Silver Scholars, as these programs are geared toward very young achievers. You should focus on your leadership and impact.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation needed..gmat 770 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 09:55
hello ,
thanx for ur reply.
I have heard of hbs 2+2 and yale silver scholar,but i am not longer eligible to apply in them,as i graduated in june. Can you please tell me whether it would be worth it to attempt for universities such as UCLA,virginia etc ? ....I can write good essays,but i might nt have much to write about my leadership in college .I dont have much work experience either.
Expert Post

Re: Profile evaluation needed..gmat 770 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:24
Expert's post
The key is to convince them you have leadership POTENTIAL...so you should focus on things you have done that have fostered this trait. I would not be shy about still applying to HBS...they actually like young people, you just need to demonstrate that you bring some value in your perspective beyond just being super smart. They pick a few younger candidates each year to diversify the class...why should you be one? Well, for starters, because you're going to tell a story about your experiences which compels them to pick you!

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation needed..gmat 770 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 16:52
I really did not expect to apply to HBS without experience ,but i sure would now :) .Just two more doubts sir, 1.which other good universities can i hope to get into? 2.Are there any good universities where i might get some scholarship ?
I am an indian and the pool of candidates from india is very large,so i might as well apply to a good number of universities.
Thank you
Expert Post

Re: Profile evaluation needed..gmat 770 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 16:18
Expert's post
I would apply to 5 or 6 schools in the top 15--select schools which seem to have a culture and curriculum which appeals to you.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews