Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Needed. GMAT-730, 5 Yrs IT Exp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.56
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Profile Evaluation Needed. GMAT-730, 5 Yrs IT Exp [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 20:55
Hi,

I am an 'Indian IT male, 28yrs' (synonymous with MBA Aspirant crowd). Below is my profile:

Target B School: ISB

GMAT Score: 730 (50,39) - yet to receive AWA score

Work Exp:
5 years, 3 months (by march 31st 2013, my exp includes an internship of 6 months)
Primarily involved in R&D and product development roles. Co-Inventor of 3 patents in an cool upcoming technology, which primarily affects the quality of information discovery on the web. Example - Apple's SIRI. Currently (from the last 1 year) playing a pivotal role in the design and development of a new business product, which is nearing its release.

Academics:
Consistently among top 3 in class.
Bachelors (Computer Science) degree GPA: 3.25 (80%), Institute - Andhra University,
Master's Degree (Master of Computer Applications: 3.55 (89%), Institute - JNTU, Hyderabad, Received Gold Medal as University topper

Extracurriculars:
1. Knowledge Sharing: Since my high school days, I have always shared knowledge among my group of friends and can definitely say that I have contributed to the group's higher pass percentage and individual academic scores. During my post graduation, took personal care of a friend in his academics and lead an improvement of more than 30% in his academic scores and eventually guided him through placements. Also delivered some (4) professional talks in various engineering colleges, on the technologies I have worked on.

2. As my apartment (which has 25 residential flats) secretary, initiated and successfully complete numerous development activities which include - rain water harvesting, gardening, installation of water meters (to control of water usage) etc. It's been a tough job convincing my flat mates, who are from different educational and socio-economic backgrounds.

Why MBA?
Through the first 3.5 years of my career, did a lot of R&D and built a number of prototypes, but none of them were productized. But we ended up with 3 very valuable patents. The biggest reason for our failures is the knowledge gap between our technology team and the product management team. We could not showcase our innovate technology in a way that could make sense to the business, while product management failed to understand what our technology is good for. Eventually, I was moved away from that technology and I am assigned to develop a new product which is in its initial stages. Its been more than an year, and I have been personally coming up with some use cases for our earlier technology efforts, but none of them could make a business sense for the upper management. So, I realized that I need to develop an product management perspective to capitalize on the innovation that we did. I have even plans of producing a start-up, may be 4 years down the line, but my current concentration is on a product management role.

Now, please help me understand, if my profile does have any differentiating factor (from the general IT crowd).

You can do it!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Needed. GMAT-730, 5 Yrs IT Exp [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 11:44
Expert's post
Hi there,

I would say your professional experience is quite differentiated from the general IT crowd. You're bridging tech and product and that is where all the action is :) I think you'll have very interesting stories, leadership experience and teamwork to share. Taken along with your strong academics, I think you're a pretty strong candidate. Your extracurriculars are somewhat weak, and your community work is missing - those are the major gaps I'm seeing, but otherwise, pretty strong!

Best of luck,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter