Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation- New Gmat Club Member

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation- New Gmat Club Member [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 19:09
Hi Guys, I'm new to Gmat Club and was curious on any feedback you all can provide.Thanks!

1) Work Experience

3 years experience as a marketing consultant for an internet marketing firm focused on the legal industry. My primary function is generating new business and I've been ranked in the top 1% of the firm's sales force for the past two years.

Prior, I had 2 years experience in the same role at a firm focused on the financial advisor industry. Likewise, I was the #1 rated salesmen both years.

2) GMAT.

700 (anticipated)

3) College info:

San Diego Christian College (business administration) - 3.93 gpa , dean's list all 8 semesters, graduated 2nd in Class, Business Major of Year.

4) extra-curricular activities or community service

college - founded the college's first Econ/Accounting tutoring program. (I oversaw as well as administered the tutoring)
post college - active in church (lead children's classes), captain of local men's basketball team

5) target programs.

Fuqua (early action), Kellogg, Marshall, Anderson

6) applying R1 2014-2015

7) post-MBA goals

Product Management

I would like to work in product management, possibly for a company in the technology sector. I greatly enjoy the entrepreneurial nature of managing a product's life cycle from inception to execution and would like to use my mba to do this on a larger scale.

My problem- I feel that I have an atypical background from many other aspiring applicants. Though I've excelled in every environment, both academically and professionally, I lack the prestigious undergrad and blue chip work experience that is commonly seen in other top applicants. I've always been a big fish in a small pond and fear that I may not fit the mold. Can this be overcome?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation- New Gmat Club Member [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 01:00
Hi,

Your list of schools looks slightly ambitious. You should be realistic while shortlisting b-schools. With the given info, you can target schools like: Darden, Ross, Cornell, McCombs, CMU-Tepper, Kenan-Flagler, Indiana-Kelley, Emory, Ohio-Fisher, Georgetown-McDonough, Arizona-Carey, Vanderbilt-Owen and Wisconsin-Madison. As the avg. GMAT range of these b-schools fall between 590-720, you’ll have fair chances of being accepted.

Subsequently, you need to work hard on your application essays and demonstrate leadership traits & professional achievements during final interviews. You can try your chances in b-schools by clicking http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Feel free to post any other concerns you might have.

Cheers!!
Neha

dgoins wrote:
Hi Guys, I'm new to Gmat Club and was curious on any feedback you all can provide.Thanks!

1) Work Experience

3 years experience as a marketing consultant for an internet marketing firm focused on the legal industry. My primary function is generating new business and I've been ranked in the top 1% of the firm's sales force for the past two years.

Prior, I had 2 years experience in the same role at a firm focused on the financial advisor industry. Likewise, I was the #1 rated salesmen both years.

2) GMAT.

700 (anticipated)

3) College info:

San Diego Christian College (business administration) - 3.93 gpa , dean's list all 8 semesters, graduated 2nd in Class, Business Major of Year.

4) extra-curricular activities or community service

college - founded the college's first Econ/Accounting tutoring program. (I oversaw as well as administered the tutoring)
post college - active in church (lead children's classes), captain of local men's basketball team

5) target programs.

Fuqua (early action), Kellogg, Marshall, Anderson

6) applying R1 2014-2015

7) post-MBA goals

Product Management

I would like to work in product management, possibly for a company in the technology sector. I greatly enjoy the entrepreneurial nature of managing a product's life cycle from inception to execution and would like to use my mba to do this on a larger scale.

My problem- I feel that I have an atypical background from many other aspiring applicants. Though I've excelled in every environment, both academically and professionally, I lack the prestigious undergrad and blue chip work experience that is commonly seen in other top applicants. I've always been a big fish in a small pond and fear that I may not fit the mold. Can this be overcome?

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation- New Gmat Club Member [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 09:22
Thanks for the feedback! I agree that Kellogg is a long shot. Honestly, Fuqua is my first choice, and I felt I might increase my chances by applying through Early Action. My main concern wasn't the gmat, but my undergrad/employment history. If I can up the gmat, can I overcome the lack of brand recognition/pedigree on my CV? Or will top schools be reluctant to accept someone with my background? Thanks again!

Best,

David
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation- New Gmat Club Member [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 11:36
I read your background and think you are an excellent candidate to most of these schools (with the one school that might be considered a reach being Kellogg). I might also encourage you to apply to Cornell especially the Parke Fellows program. Just make sure you invest the time, energy and resources into your applications and I am sure you will see results.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation- New Gmat Club Member [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 12:27
Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't considered Cornell, but will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Re: Profile Evaluation- New Gmat Club Member   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2013, 12:27