Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: Not so typical engineer? [#permalink]
Wow, awesome profile man!

I'm no expert, but think you're right where you need to be. You should have no problem getting into those schools if you execute the apps and interview well.

Just out of curiosity, why only 2 schools (Sloan & Stanford) R1 and so many in R2? Also, I noticed no Wharton or Booth on the list. I would figure their finance and quant heavy reputations would fit in well with your goal of going into your family's investment firm.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dtse86 wrote:
Wow, awesome profile man!

I'm no expert, but think you're right where you need to be. You should have no problem getting into those schools if you execute the apps and interview well.

Just out of curiosity, why only 2 schools (Sloan & Stanford) R1 and so many in R2? Also, I noticed no Wharton or Booth on the list. I would figure their finance and quant heavy reputations would fit in well with your goal of going into your family's investment firm.

Hi! Thanks! That is.. Flattering :) Hopefully I will be able to piece together a reasonably sound narrative for my applications.

Reason(s) behind my R1/R2 strategy:
1) Passion. I have plenty of reasons why I want to go to Sloan + Stanford. Sloan for its reputation for hands on learning and analytics. Stanford for its unbeatable resource and experience in VC management, which I'll tap into extensively for my family investments. Wharton? Not so much. I couldn't see myself being passionate enough about Wharton for me to piece together a good essay. I am still very much open to ideas so if I'm not seeing something here let me know!

2) Admission Rate. From what I understand, ~30% of applicants get accepted in R1, ~50 in R2 and remainder in R3. I thought R1 will consist of "warm up" schools that I won't turn down if, by any chance, I get accepted. R2 will be my main set of applications. And R3 will be... hopefully I won't get there.

Also, Booth is in R2. I choose Booth over Kellogg and even Wharton because of a number of high profile econs professors that are in UChicago that I really want to work with in person - once again 'passionate' enough to write an essay for.

Hopefully I'm being coherent? Many of these thoughts were in my mind and I never quite discussed them with anyone till now. It is likely to be filled with loopholes :/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jen,

Thank you so much for your input! It is valuable and most importantly, honest. @dtse86, looks like the 30% admission in R1 is one of the many myths I heard I found nothing concrete to substantiate it and as Jen shows, isn't true. I did read from https://mbastudio.net/ (Avi's book, actually), that AdComs try to balance their class profiles in R2. So if you're from an uncommon field (ie. not banking/consulting) you might do best in R2. Myth as well?

Mucha Gracias!
Paul
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Profile Evaluation: Not so typical engineer? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You are most welcome. As for less-common profiles applying R2, there could be a grain of truth in some specific cases BUT if you think about it, you could make a case for a less-common applicant to apply in ANY of the 3 rounds in terms of 'balancing' so to speak (by which I assume you mean ensuring there is a diverse group in the class)... for ex if a ton of investment bankers apply R1 and so does someone with a very unique profile/less-common background, there's no reason to say that the admissions committee wouldn't want them (if they have a strong profile ;) ) for increased diversity even in R1. Just basically trying to say-- I wouldn't stress all that much about it-- the patterns are often different each year based on when your peers submit etc and numbers etc... and at the end of the day-- it's good to apply as early as you can while being confident in the quality of your application. ;)
Moderator:
1452 posts