Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation of a Male Indian Techie

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Profile Evaluation of a Male Indian Techie [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 17:35
Hello,

My profile looks like this

1) Will be applying at age 30 and joining when I am aged 31.

Work :-
2) More than 8 years experience in IT consulting with 2 years in India and 6 years in USA for top insurance clients like Blue Cross, Aflac and Delta Dental.
a) My first job was with a small IT services firm in Bangalore of 25 members and I was appreciated for my work and my salary was first double in 8 months and then double again in the next 7 months so after my 18 months of work there my Salary was 4 times the original.
b) My second job was appreciated for my onsite-offshore coordination and was sent onsite to lead the entire offshore team within 6 months of joining the company.
c) With my present company, I am the brand ambassador in the sense I am the first person to be placed at a new client to develop the client relationship and I helped my company grow the number of consultants at the present client from 1 consultant to around 40 in 2 years which increased the turnover from $180,000 to $7,200,000.
d) Lead a highly complicated and highly visible project and completed it well within time, which was a big success with the upper management and got me a lot of recognition across the organisation.
f) I can get the reco's from my CEO of the first company, from the director of my present company and director of the present client proving the above facts.

Acads-
3) Under Grad B.E. from top 50 of India with 72% - First class with Distinction - not sure about the GPA version of percentage.

4) Masters in IT from an avg university in san francisco with GPA of 3.75 - completed as part time while working.

5) MBA Foundation course from Berkeley extension - will complete in a semester with the present GPA being 3.7.

EC :-
5) Was heading the Social Service club in my undergrad conducting various activities like blood donation and literary activities in slums of Bangalore

6) Was heading the alumni for my undergrad for 2 years.

7) Project lead at HandonBayArea for more than 1.5 years with more than 200 hours of community service.

8) Raised funds all by myself for an Indian non-profit serving the handicapped to the tune of 100,000 Indian rupees.

9) Not sure if this would count but, I worked at my dad's business while doing my undergrad. It was a wholesale construction materials business. I used to work part time in the evenings and weekend to help him in his business by driving small trucks with the materials to the clients places and this cut down his labor cost a lot as he was under a loss during the last recession period of 2000-2003 and I seriously dont know how I can prove this to them.

10) In the process of starting an initiative with other alumni members to start a scholarship fund for the merit and needy students of the undergrad school.

GMAT - 720

Target Schools - Haas, Wharton, Kellogg(1 year MBA), Duke, Insead, LBS, IMD, Yale, OXFORD, IESE

1) What are my chances in above schools and is there any other schools that I need to target ?
2) What else can I do to improve my resume ?
3) Is my age of 31 at the time of joining a negative factor ?
4) Will my MBA foundation course at Berkeley be of any help ?
5) Is my existing Master degree in IT a negative factor ?
6) What else can I add to my resume if I need to get into the schools mentioned with a good scholarship.
7) Does MBAApply help only the schools of USA or with other schools too ?

Thanks in advance for your valuable feedback to the GMATClub community
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation of a Male Indian Techie [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 22:13
You're really into writing everything in a list format aren't you? :P Also, am I sure that this is you, or a "friend" just like the last post ended up being on behalf of your spouse?

Anyhow, to answer your questions in the same list format:

(1) Cut 4 schools. Stick to 6 or less. Every year, applicants think they can apply to a crapload of schools and still do a great job, even when others tell them they will dilute their efforts across too many schools. Take out Kellogg, Wharton, and Haas, and one school from the rest. Also, you know that IESE was founded by Opus Dei? - It really helps being Catholic (both as a student and as an alum of that school).

(2) Build a life, not a resume. If you're focused on window dressing a resume, it'll be obvious that you're window dressing a resume. The resume is a reflection of your achievements, not a *reason* for your achievements. This isn't just a philosophical thing, but a very practical thing, because you'll never be able to do anything worthwhile or meaningful (and people can see right through it) if it's for a piece of paper.

(3) For the US schools, yes. For the Euro schools, no.

(4) No. It won't be a negative, but they aren't evaluating your ability to hit the books (you're an Indian engineering dude with a high GMAT and a MS - they know you're good at academics).

(5) It shouldn't be if it was a technical degree.

(6) See (2). Also, scholarships for a professional degree like an MBA should be a bonus, not an expectation.

(7) INSEAD and LBS are schools I'm quite familiar with; in fact, INSEAD is one of the most frequent schools clients have signed up for aside from the top US schools. I love INSEAD. My clients love INSEAD.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: Profile Evaluation of a Male Indian Techie [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 22:38
haha ... this is indeed for me :) ... wanted to take up the decision after my spouses decision as only one can afford an MBA now :) ..
Re: Profile Evaluation of a Male Indian Techie   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2009, 22:38