Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation of Indian IT Male :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Indian Institute of Management Calcutta - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation of Indian IT Male :( [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 03:56
Hi
I was multitasking , browsing through the pages of "Great Applications for Business Schools" for hints on essay writing and also going through this forum when I stumbled upon this thread. Frankly after going through the essays and the distinctive achievements of their writers I find myself quite distraught with my profile . Could you please evaluate my profile and comment whether it fits the schools I am trying to apply for

Work Experience : I have a total of 6 years of work experience ; 1.5 years as a Performance Engineering Consultant with CTS (Cognizant Technology Solutions) and 4.5 half years with TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) where I started out as a fresh graduate and slowly climbed up the ladder as a DBA and then as a DB and Analytics Architect , having designed the BCP (Business Continuity Planning ) application for the largest telecom provider in UK . My current work profile basically means that I fine tune slow running applications for our clients as a technical consultant on a for need basis(that is I am not allocated to any particular project for a long time and only come into picture when there is a performance problem) . My job requires me to not only have a good technical knowledge of the inner workings of DB/Analytics/ETL but also a sharp analytical mind and a firefighters attitude(since mostly I come into picture when things go haywire) . It also requires of me to be cool under pressure and have good man management skills to soothe the frayed nerves of clients/ project teams agitated by failing applications and also put my points across in a multi vendor environment. As a technical consultant I have worked under diverse clients in the banking,Healthcare and telecom domain both in Europe and US .
I have also published a few technical papers and created a tool used for performance tuning in my organization

GMAT : 730 (96%ile) Q49 :( (86%ile) V40 :| (89%ile) AWA 5.5 (77%ile)

College Info : Btech with Honors in Civil Engineering from National Institute of Technology Kurukshetra , Haryana India . I had a pass percentage of 70.26% (we did not have GPA)

Extra Curricular Activity : Have been Quizzing since as long as I can remember . Won several prizes in college fests . Was the secretary of my College Art Modeling Club. Also won the best quizzer award from College . Formed the TCS quiz club in Kolkata and was the active co-ordinator of the club . Actively promoted the club whose member count rose from zero to 1200 under my , and got a special certificate for that . Also won a special recognition award for contribution to the CSR activities under the Maitree foundation in TCS.
Have represented my company (both TCS and CTS) in corporate quizzes . Finalist in Tata Crucible (India's Largest Corporate Quiz).Also was a winner and participant in Kaun Banega Crorepati(The Indian version of Who wants to be a Millionaire)
Trying to form an open to all Quiz Club in Kolkata these days

Also am learning basic Japanese and would be completing JLPT N5 in December

Target Programs : ISB/IIM Ahmedabad/IIM Bangalore/IIM Calcutta/Said Oxford / Judge Cambridge

Post MBA : My post MBA goals may change if I can gauge better goals for myself during the MBA . However as of now my current goal is to remain in the IT industry as a techno-functional consultant . This is mostly due to the fact that in my current role I face a lot of situtations where the functional consultant has no idea of what I am saying and fixing unrealistic goals and non functional requirements with clients. So I want to add the functional qualifications to help me further my goal to become the perfect IT consultant having thorough knowledge of both the high level as well as grassroot , functional as well as technical aspects of a project.

Researching the schools

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation of Indian IT Male :( [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 11:14
Expert's post
subratadass wrote:
Hi
I was multitasking , browsing through the pages of "Great Applications for Business Schools" for hints on essay writing and also going through this forum when I stumbled upon this thread. Frankly after going through the essays and the distinctive achievements of their writers I find myself quite distraught with my profile . Could you please evaluate my profile and comment whether it fits the schools I am trying to apply for

Work Experience : I have a total of 6 years of work experience ; 1.5 years as a Performance Engineering Consultant with CTS (Cognizant Technology Solutions) and 4.5 half years with TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) where I started out as a fresh graduate and slowly climbed up the ladder as a DBA and then as a DB and Analytics Architect , having designed the BCP (Business Continuity Planning ) application for the largest telecom provider in UK . My current work profile basically means that I fine tune slow running applications for our clients as a technical consultant on a for need basis(that is I am not allocated to any particular project for a long time and only come into picture when there is a performance problem) . My job requires me to not only have a good technical knowledge of the inner workings of DB/Analytics/ETL but also a sharp analytical mind and a firefighters attitude(since mostly I come into picture when things go haywire) . It also requires of me to be cool under pressure and have good man management skills to soothe the frayed nerves of clients/ project teams agitated by failing applications and also put my points across in a multi vendor environment. As a technical consultant I have worked under diverse clients in the banking,Healthcare and telecom domain both in Europe and US .
I have also published a few technical papers and created a tool used for performance tuning in my organization

GMAT : 730 (96%ile) Q49 :( (86%ile) V40 :| (89%ile) AWA 5.5 (77%ile)

College Info : Btech with Honors in Civil Engineering from National Institute of Technology Kurukshetra , Haryana India . I had a pass percentage of 70.26% (we did not have GPA)

Extra Curricular Activity : Have been Quizzing since as long as I can remember . Won several prizes in college fests . Was the secretary of my College Art Modeling Club. Also won the best quizzer award from College . Formed the TCS quiz club in Kolkata and was the active co-ordinator of the club . Actively promoted the club whose member count rose from zero to 1200 under my , and got a special certificate for that . Also won a special recognition award for contribution to the CSR activities under the Maitree foundation in TCS.
Have represented my company (both TCS and CTS) in corporate quizzes . Finalist in Tata Crucible (India's Largest Corporate Quiz).Also was a winner and participant in Kaun Banega Crorepati(The Indian version of Who wants to be a Millionaire)
Trying to form an open to all Quiz Club in Kolkata these days

Also am learning basic Japanese and would be completing JLPT N5 in December

Target Programs : ISB/IIM Ahmedabad/IIM Bangalore/IIM Calcutta/Said Oxford / Judge Cambridge

Post MBA : My post MBA goals may change if I can gauge better goals for myself during the MBA . However as of now my current goal is to remain in the IT industry as a techno-functional consultant . This is mostly due to the fact that in my current role I face a lot of situtations where the functional consultant has no idea of what I am saying and fixing unrealistic goals and non functional requirements with clients. So I want to add the functional qualifications to help me further my goal to become the perfect IT consultant having thorough knowledge of both the high level as well as grassroot , functional as well as technical aspects of a project.

Your description portrays you as an extremely smart and capable professional, and the CSR activities at TCS may be large enough to convince these programs that you have the interpersonal abilities essential to leading large groups of people (and not just the small groups with which you have been working professionally). Since the work you are doing is highly technical in nature, I would definitely recommend that you steer the conversation of your essays elsewhere - founding and leading a 1200 member club, CSR at TCS, and your Japanese immersion/exposure, if any. Only if those are strong do I see the IIMs, Oxford and Cambridge as strong possibilities.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Indian Institute of Management Calcutta - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation of Indian IT Male :( [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 00:02
Thanks for the tips ... will try to implement the same in my essays ...once I start writing them :-D

Researching the schools

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation of Indian IT Male :( [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 09:37
Expert's post
subratadass wrote:
Thanks for the tips ... will try to implement the same in my essays ...once I start writing them :-D

Good luck, and contact me offline if you'd like help with the essays.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation of Indian IT Male :( [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 21:53
Hello,
I have applied to Cornell, Wharton, Kellogg, Georgetown, Oxford, LBS and Vanderbilt University. My profile is strikingly similar to yours except the GMAT [690 :( Q-49 V-35] In a nutshell here is my profile -

3 years work-ex in IT
Business Quizzer (Finalist Tata Crucible: Winner of a national level Business Quiz)
Bachelor of Music ( Indian Idol, X Factor Participant)
Learning French (A2 level)
Good community involvements (Raised $12000 for an orphanage; Trained 20 visually impaired on personality development)
Reached till last stage of Teach For India Fellowship program, 2012.

Please suggest about my chances in these schools.

Regards,
Anupam