Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Part-Time Applicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.36
WE: Accounting (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 17

Profile Evaluation - Part-Time Applicant [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 20:00
I was wondering if someone could give me a profile assessment. I will be applying this fall for admission next fall (2013).

Dream Schools: UCLA, UCBerkeley
Reality School: USC
Backup Schools: UCI, Pepperdine, UCDavis (Not sure if they're worth it though)

Undergrad Institution: UCBerkeley (J.C. Transfer)
Major: Economics
GPA: 2.96 (3.61 at my J.C., CGPA 3.36)*
Additional Education: Certificate in Accounting, UCLA Extension, 3.42
Unofficial GMAT: 670 (47Q, 35V, AWA & IR Pending)**

Work Experience: I have 3 years mortgage industry in foreclosure with Countrywide and an affiliate. For the last 4 years I've been in tax accounting. The last three of which have been with the Internal Revenue Service as a Revenue Agent. I don't have management experience but I have moved up within the IRS. I also became a licensed CPA this year.

Recommendations: My manager likes me and my work output, I am certain that she will give me an outstanding review. A fellow Revenue Agent (CPA) will also give me a great recommendation.

Extracurricular: Unfortunately I've got nothing substantial since college. I was going to do Volunteer Income Tax Assistance this year, I even took the test to qualify but I just couldn't fit the time in with studying for CPA.

Goal: I'm looking to concentrate in Finance. I would love to become a manager at the IRS or maybe move over to the SEC. Of course I am open to greater things like management consulting, investment banking, private equity if an opportunity presents itself.

Misc: I only want to go part-time because I have a four year old daughter that needs stuff for life. Also, I vest in the federal government's pension in 2 years so I don't want to mess that up. Additionally, I get 6 hours of vacation and 4 hours of sick leave every two weeks and I tell them when I'm taking a vacation, I don't have to ask. The vacation time could be useful around exam time.

Questions: Can I get in to at least USC? Are my backup schools even worth the dime? Should I retake GMAT? What do schools think of out of area applicants? I'd be willing to move for the right program UW (Foster), Michigan (Ross), NYU (Stern) or Texas (McCombs). I can get a job transfer on the West Coast no problem and anywhere in U.S. with a little leg work. So, is it wrong of me to consider out of state?

*GPA sounds bad but when I look at my transcript it doesn't look all that awful (3 A's, 3 C's remainder in the middle). I had to take all upper division classes in those two years. I took the calculus based intermediate microeconomics, macroeconomic and econometrics sequence (versus the easy sequence) as well as an upper division statistics class. I worked at a law firm 15 hours a week, was in a fraternity and co-founded the shooting sports club. I took Calculus I through III, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Calculus Based physics at my J.C.

**I've only taken the GMAT once on 7/12/2012 but I had a nasty cold that day and I was really dizzy. I'm not sure if I should retake because I only got 650 on each of the GMATPrep tests (Q46, V34 and Q47, V33). What do you think?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation - Part-Time Applicant [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 06:36
Update:

AWA: 4.0 (20%)
IR: 7 (85%)

Should I retake or just really focus on my essays? I'm feeling all of the schools slipping away now that I have a 4.0 on AWA.
Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation - Part-Time Applicant [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 09:11
Hmm... almost 3 months without a reply... I'm worried
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Part-Time Applicant [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 04:43
Expert's post
Three months and no reply????
How did that happen??!!

Anyhow let-s get cracking:
So, first your GMAT - Retake if you think you can get substantially better. I don't know what you were testing when you got sick, but if you confidently feel you can get 30+ points higher it is MOST definitely worth it, and it is the single thing that will most help your application.

Next your schools - They are a competitive list for you (I'm assuming you'll be applying to ALL of them - a good idea), but of course if you retake your GMAT and get higher, this list might be pushed up a little bit.

More questions??? Ask again! And we'll try and get to you quicker (although if you want a REALLY quick answer, post in our forum)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation - Part-Time Applicant [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 10:37
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Three months and no reply????
How did that happen??!!

Anyhow let-s get cracking:
So, first your GMAT - Retake if you think you can get substantially better. I don't know what you were testing when you got sick, but if you confidently feel you can get 30+ points higher it is MOST definitely worth it, and it is the single thing that will most help your application.

Next your schools - They are a competitive list for you (I'm assuming you'll be applying to ALL of them - a good idea), but of course if you retake your GMAT and get higher, this list might be pushed up a little bit.

More questions??? Ask again! And we'll try and get to you quicker (although if you want a REALLY quick answer, post in our forum)

I was testing at a 650... I took the first GMAT Prep Test one month (4 weeks) before and the second GMAT Prep Test two weeks before, I scored the same on both. I really think 670 is at the top of my range, maybe 680 or 690 on a perfect day.

Now, I've decided only to apply to USC MBA.PM (my backup and a very nice program) and UCLA FEMBA (great campus and great program).

I went to the UCLA FEMBA Open House on October 13th and I was very impressed with both the current and prospective students. The admissions director said that he's really looking for diversity in work experience. He also said that he's denied three people with 770 GMATs (never denied 780+). So, unless I retake the GMAT and can get a 780, I think I'm just better off playing up my positive attributes. My score is balanced percentile wise, if it were off then I might worry a little more.
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation - Part-Time Applicant [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 21:26
Hi All,

General Education is organizing the MBA Application Strategy Workshop on 18th November 2012 in Mumbai.

Hear from an expert team comprising alumni of Top B-Schools - Harvard, Duke, Cornell, INSEAD, HEC and ISB on how to go about planning for the seemingly complicated MBA admission process. Interact with experts to know what makes a B-School application stand-out in the eyes of the admissions committee.

Key Note Speakers:
Alumni of Harvard, Duke, Cornell, INSEAD, HEC Paris & ISB.

Venue for Mumbai:
Mayfair Banquets, 254 C , Dr Annie Besant Road, Worli, Mumbai -400030, Opp Sasmira Institute, Next to Old passport office

Time - 2pm to 6pm

For registration, please visit our website - http://www.general-ed.com/workshops-and-seminars

It is a free event. No Registration fees or entrance fees.

Looking forward to meeting you all on 18th November in Mumbai.

Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Profile Evaluation - Part-Time Applicant   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2012, 21:26