Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: PhD in Accounting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation: PhD in Accounting [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 20:08
Hi

I recently decide to pursue a career in academia and I believe I would be a good teacher/research, here is my profile:

1. Two bachelors from a Chinese university where I did not do quite well in English Literature and Business Administration majors.

2. After I came to the United States, I went to CUNY Queens College (close to home) in order to learn something, I chose Accounting. I did a good job this time. Among 12 major courses I took, I obtained 12 A+, 4/4 in GPA. Because I am in part-time program, I only had one dean's list and was not eligible to many scholarships.

3. Then I was elevated to QC's MSA program, and again, straight A, 4/4. This time I got a Graduate scholarship.

4. I did not plan to go PhD in the first place, so I did not look for any TA/RA opportunity until recently. I will talk to my dean next week and see if there is anything he could do for me.

5. No strong work experience, a NYC general contractor's company for 6 yrs. CPA passed.

6. No research-oriented professor's LOR, unlike Barcuh, QC does not have many this type of professors. I can have three from PhD holders, one is my department chair, one is vice chair and the last is a math professor teaching Risk Management, but none of them is well known in this field.

7. I am preparing GMAT, I am not sure how high my score would be. Hypothetically, how about 730 (not too high or too low)?

I am now making a spreadsheet of most PhD schools, containing all info I can gather from their websites. Please give me some suggestions about which schools I should apply.

Any comment is welcome. Thank you everyone.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation: PhD in Accounting [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 05:24
Hi Jumpstarter - you have an unusual background for sure! But that can be a great benefit if you become a teacher, you'll be able to relate to your students. We've actually helped people get into some PhD programs including for accounting. It's been awhile since we focused on the accounting profiles but in past years, the GRE was preferred over the GMAT at some places. Make sure you research your target schools carefully to see which test they want. If you have done a Master's thesis then it will help your application considerably. Your academic references are also going to be very important. Getting that TA will be of benefit as well.

The different schools all have a different focus and you may run into trouble if you are talking too much about research AND teaching - usually one or the other is what a particular program cares about. This needs to be handled carefully and you should do a lot of outreach to the target schools to learn as much as you can about them. Also start reading the relevant academic journals and make sure you know how your industry works, who the stars are, the leading topics of the day, all that.

In terms of which program, we do know a little about this but we're not the experts. If you have questions we're happy to offer any input we can based on our past experiences with applicants like you - they don't come around all that often so we don't have a huge dataset to draw from but we do know a bit! Good luck, this is exciting stuff.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Accounting (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation: PhD in Accounting [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 21:59
Hello bkth my sister and my girlfriend are current PhD candidates and they both had to take the GRE not the GMAT.. You might want to double check which exam your school is looking for

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Re: Profile Evaluation: PhD in Accounting   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2013, 21:59