Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 18

Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 13:57
Hi ,

It would be really helpful if you could give some feedback regarding my profile and choice of target schools.

I belong to the Indian/IT Male /27/ 5 Years exp / Working with TCS

Academics:
• GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39)-
• Engineering- 77.10% from one of the best engineering schools in India (Non-IIT)
• 12th - 92.5%, 10th - 95.2% (Ranked 14th for the state out of 80,000 students that year

Professional Experience:
• Working as a techno–functional analyst leading a team of 8 working in India and UK for a Corporate and Specialty Insurance major in UK.International experience of around 8-9 months so far.More than 3 years of experience in working the Insurance domain(both life and non-life)
• Other activities include coordinating with other teams for issue resolution,managing team dynamics, mentoring junior members of the team.
• Led a team of 6 members to successfully implement the complete IT infrastructure for a client. The project was worth around 300,000 USD
• Worked in different pre-sales and consulting activities for multiple clients in the organization.

Extracurricular:

1. Faculty in Business communication - Trained associates of the company in 'Business Communication'
2. Mentored 4 new hires and groomed them technically and functionally so that they can take up responsibilities and perform well in project related activities.
3. Organised events in the organisation that emphasize the value of Quality Management in day to day life
4. Learning Champion - Played an important role to conceptualize and develop training curriculum and materials for induction trainings.
5. Part of the recruitment team - Visited many campuses and also conducted off campus events to recruit people into the organization.
6. Directed and stage managed a Japanese play in front of an audience of 300 that was a resounding success!
7. Organized an event to raise money for an orphan girl suffering from heart problem. The even raised around 25K INR
8. Active member of Cricket teams at organization and at college level. Die hard football fan!

Professional Certifications:

1. Associate, Life Management Institute (ALMI) designation in Insurance
2. Completed Level 1 of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) offered by the CFA Institute, USA.Currently a Level 2 candidate.
3. ITIL Certification in IT Service Management.
4. National Stock Exchange (NSE) certification in Derivatives and NSE certification in Financial Markets.
5. a) Football club administration and b) Equality & Diversity in Football courses offered by The Football Association, UK
6. German language level 1 (A1) offered by the Goethe Institute.

Know German and Japanese languages

Hobbies - Avid traveler - Visited more than 7 countries , Huge Man U fan - Want to promote football in India and bring the community together. (One of my personal goals off work)

Short Term Goal:

To get into a consulting firm into their Information Technology practice. Main interest is in the IT of Global Financial and Insurance firms.

Long Term Goal:

CIO/CTO of a big financial / insurance / technology firm

Target Schools:

MIT Sloan, Haas, Kelloggs, Duke, UCLA, Ross,Tepper, UT Austin, ISB , NUS and probably INSEAD (just for kicks!!)

Recos: Can get good recos for my application.

Can you please let me know whether my target schools are actually on target based on my profile?

Thanks
TheRedDevil

Cheers,
TheRedDevil

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 11:12
Expert's post
Allright RedDevil,
You are one evil dude! :) just kidding man...
The run down: With your school choice and your profile (and some rockin essays) you should do very well. Yes, you are coming from the toughest and most competitive applicant pool there is (Indian, Male, Tech), but you have got those GREAT stats. 740 GMAT, real leadership, leading recruitment, even directing a Japanese play.

The KEY for you will be to make yourself stick out like a sore thumb from all those other candidates that look similar to you.

And I really like your list! Not only is it strategically well chosen, it also includes many schools that are likely to help you reach your goals, that focus on YOUR industry.

So now all you gotta do is get those application in tip top shape.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 18

Re: Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 13:06
Hi Jon and Raj,

Thank you very much for your encouraging response. Just another question :)

How do u suggest that I approach my application rounds in R1/R2 ? (when to apply for stretch / realistic schools) considering that nothing changes during the 2 months.

This would be really helpful for me to plan my app season.

Regards
TheRedDevil

Cheers,
TheRedDevil

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 21:57
Expert's post
Well,
As you know there is slight advantage to applying round 1. So you would want to get the school of your dreams in round one.

If you can get them in I would do: Duke, UCLA, Ross,Tepper, UT Austin in round one, the reason being that these are often schools that are selected as "Second choices" for people applying to Harvard Wharton et al, and applying round one will give you two nice advantages:
1. You will be able to make a much more convincing argument that these schools are your first choices
2. You will increase your chances for getting offered scholarships.

ISB and NUS you can leave for later. INSEAD you can even leave for the January intake (which might be better for you anyway as that gives you the summer for an internship) as the deadline is usually around March.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!