Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 13:19
Good afternoon. I would like to hear your input on what range of schools you think I may be competitive for. I will be applying next year to matriculate 2013.

GMAT - 730 45Q 45V. Took it a couple weeks ago. I would like to hear your opinion on this, I am leaning towards retaking because the Q was only the 71st percentile whereas the V was 99th. On most of my practice tests I scored at least 47, and a few times I scored up to 50 on Q so I believe I'm capable of a better score.

Undergrad - Lowish gpa, 3.25 from BYU in a science field. Worked throughout undergrad to pay for school, including the last year and half as an intern with Nestle at manufacturing plant.

Work Experience - I now work for a large food and beverage company doing ingredient and flavor product development. All of our projects are b2b, so I've managed projects from start through to production for companies such as Nestle, Tyson, McDonalds, Arby's etc. It is technical and based on chemistry, but there is also quite a bit of client interaction. I have traveled out for ideation sessions (as we call them) as well as production runs and scales ups, I also maintain constant phone and e-mail interaction. Some projects are team based, others I do on my own - depends on size and deadline.

I don't have any direct reports, but I have been given continuously greater responsibility in terms of the scope of projects I manage and the importance of the customers to our business.

Service - Eagle scout (order of the arrow), 2 year LDS mission to Guatemala city, fluent in Spanish.

During undergrad involved in various clubs, and intramural sports as well as volunteer work for church, teaching weekly classes to youth and coordinating activities.

Currently I am in the presidency that oversees the men of the congregation. Responsible for teaching sunday school lessons, coordinating monthly visits to members, planning and coordinating monthly activities, and liaison to the local missionary efforts. Also done various other service projects here and there as opportunities have arisen such as habitat for humanity, and some local municipal projects.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 13:28
Expert's post
rjdunn03 wrote:
Good afternoon. I would like to hear your input on what range of schools you think I may be competitive for. I will be applying next year to matriculate 2013.

GMAT - 730 45Q 45V. Took it a couple weeks ago. I would like to hear your opinion on this, I am leaning towards retaking because the Q was only the 71st percentile whereas the V was 99th. On most of my practice tests I scored at least 47, and a few times I scored up to 50 on Q so I believe I'm capable of a better score.

Undergrad - Lowish gpa, 3.25 from BYU in a science field. Worked throughout undergrad to pay for school, including the last year and half as an intern with Nestle at manufacturing plant.

Work Experience - I now work for a large food and beverage company doing ingredient and flavor product development. All of our projects are b2b, so I've managed projects from start through to production for companies such as Nestle, Tyson, McDonalds, Arby's etc. It is technical and based on chemistry, but there is also quite a bit of client interaction. I have traveled out for ideation sessions (as we call them) as well as production runs and scales ups, I also maintain constant phone and e-mail interaction. Some projects are team based, others I do on my own - depends on size and deadline.

I don't have any direct reports, but I have been given continuously greater responsibility in terms of the scope of projects I manage and the importance of the customers to our business.

Service - Eagle scout (order of the arrow), 2 year LDS mission to Guatemala city, fluent in Spanish.

During undergrad involved in various clubs, and intramural sports as well as volunteer work for church, teaching weekly classes to youth and coordinating activities.

Currently I am in the presidency that oversees the men of the congregation. Responsible for teaching sunday school lessons, coordinating monthly visits to members, planning and coordinating monthly activities, and liaison to the local missionary efforts. Also done various other service projects here and there as opportunities have arisen such as habitat for humanity, and some local municipal projects.

Crazy as it sounds, if your Quant score is below the 75th percentile, you should retake the GMAT. Your industry is unique, so you will have interesting experience to share with the class. You'll need to focus your essays on the project leadership and ways you've built relationships with clients. This should make you competitive for good programs.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 21:27
Hi Jennifer thanks for the response. I wanted to give you an update, I retook the gmat today and performed much better. 780 (49q 50v). I think my nerves really affected me the first time.

With my improved gmat do you think I would have a shot at m7 schools?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 05:31
Expert's post
rjdunn03 wrote:
Hi Jennifer thanks for the response. I wanted to give you an update, I retook the gmat today and performed much better. 780 (49q 50v). I think my nerves really affected me the first time.

With my improved gmat do you think I would have a shot at m7 schools?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Congratulations on the improved score. Yes, I do feel that you can now apply to the top programs focusing on your unique industry and how you've influenced your company and community. As always, I recommend applying to some slightly lower-ranked programs to improve your chances - a 780 is not a guarantee if your essays don't convey the leadership and influence that the top programs are seeking!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog