Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.71
WE: General Management (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 23:30
Hi, please evaluate my profile:

I'm a 25 year old, Indonesian male
GMAT 710 (predicted, plan to take on late May)
GPA 3.72 (Bachelor of Medicine/MD) from top 5 university in the country
Several online courses on computer science, finance, and social sciences

Work experience
2 years internship as a resident doctor in top public hospital
1+ year (and running) as a cofounder and CTO at an award winning, VC funded mobile health technology startup

Extracuricular
Programming since 10
Classical guitarist and play in a band
Head of journalism club while in school
Active member in the startup community in Jakarta
Won several business plan competitions

Volunteer activities
Several months of teaching at underpriveleged areas
Family doctor at primary health care centers in poor villages
Organized several public health events (vaccination awareness, cervical cancer seminar, etc)

Reason for MBA
I was sort of disillusioned after med school. Figure out how little a single doctor can do in term of helping patients, when the healthcare system in Indonesia is pretty much broken. I started a mobile health company to try to solve that and it went pretty well but feel that I've reached the point where I need help. Hope that MBA will provide me the skills and knowledge to start a startup in health technology or biotech.

Target schools: Stanford, Sloan, Haas, HBS, Tuck

How are my chances?

Also, since I'm not a typical applicant and also not a native speaker I highly consider getting an admission consultant. However I don't have any idea on how to choose one and when to get help (after GMAT? after my first set of essays?). I plan to admit on round one next October.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 09:35
Expert's post
Hello pascalchristian, thanks for your question.

It’s hard to give a good prognosis without an actual GMAT score. In my experience, actual GMAT scores can often deviate significantly from practice exams – in both directions! I will assess the rest of your profile:

I think you have a unique and compelling story that could move the needle with those schools. Last year I worked with a client with a similar background in medicine and then business.

2 things:
• Your competitiveness will come down to the quality of your leadership experience in and out of work. Can you draw upon “moments” when you truly led: influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative?
• Demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA. Identify the specific gaps that stand between you and your short- and long-term goals (knowledge, skills, experiences, network, etc.) and show how business school would directly address those gaps. You already have startup experience. Can you really demonstrate why you need a graduate degree to start another one?

In terms of a consultant, if you are going to pay all that money, why not get the most value and use one for the entire process? I think you have to go with the company/consultant that seems to be the best fit with your personality. I suppose the same could be said for business school programs!

If you are interested in a free consultation with mbaMission, the company I work for, please follow the link below. No charge, and you can get a feel for how the process works.

Best of luck!
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php