Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 05:37
Hello!

I'm planning to apply for HBS 2+2 program in round 3.

23/White/Male/Brazilian
Undergrad 1: Physical Education, GPA: 8.3/10
Undergrad 2: Information Systems, GPA: 9.1/10 (Class of 2012)
Post Grad 1: Especialization in databases in one of the top universities in Brazil (especializations are considered post-graduations here), GPA: 9.2/10
Post Grad 2: Currently studying a MSc in Technology in one of the top universities in Brazil GPA: 4/4
TOEFL IBT: 112
GMAT: 580 (!) 42Q/28V
Work Ex - Internship of 1.5 years in an IT company as a system's analyst. Was able to lead a small team (3 people) in some projects.
Co-founder of a small technology startup during 4 months (it didn't work out)
Currently working full-time in an IT company as a mobile software developer.
Extracurriculars: Did some community work, organized a few events in college that aimed to help people become more healthy. During college I was the coach of the soccer team during 2 years, and in my second year as a coach we won the local university soccer championship.
Also, I did the last 2 years of my first graduation simultaneously with the first 2 years of my second graduation. During the last 2 years of my second graduation I finished my especialization and started my MSC.

Why do I want a MBA, or more specifically, the 2+2 program at HBS: To enhance my knowledge in technology in the next 2 years at work and then learn how to manage and start companies at the MBA, so I can start a new company with the knowledge acquired.

Question :
My low GMAT score is my biggest concern here. There is only one month left before round 3 deadline and I still need to write my essays. So I have the option to prepare good essays and apply with a low GMAT score (and explain that the low score was due to not enough time of preparation, since I only found out about the 2+2 program a few months ago), or to prepare average essays and try to retake the GMAT (not sure if I can increase the score in so little time). What should I do?

Thanks in advance for reviewing my profile! Any advice will be much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 21:55
Expert's post
renesv wrote:
Hello!

I'm planning to apply for HBS 2+2 program in round 3.

23/White/Male/Brazilian
Undergrad 1: Physical Education, GPA: 8.3/10
Undergrad 2: Information Systems, GPA: 9.1/10 (Class of 2012)
Post Grad 1: Especialization in databases in one of the top universities in Brazil (especializations are considered post-graduations here), GPA: 9.2/10
Post Grad 2: Currently studying a MSc in Technology in one of the top universities in Brazil GPA: 4/4
TOEFL IBT: 112
GMAT: 580 (!) 42Q/28V
Work Ex - Internship of 1.5 years in an IT company as a system's analyst. Was able to lead a small team (3 people) in some projects.
Co-founder of a small technology startup during 4 months (it didn't work out)
Currently working full-time in an IT company as a mobile software developer.
Extracurriculars: Did some community work, organized a few events in college that aimed to help people become more healthy. During college I was the coach of the soccer team during 2 years, and in my second year as a coach we won the local university soccer championship.
Also, I did the last 2 years of my first graduation simultaneously with the first 2 years of my second graduation. During the last 2 years of my second graduation I finished my especialization and started my MSC.

Why do I want a MBA, or more specifically, the 2+2 program at HBS: To enhance my knowledge in technology in the next 2 years at work and then learn how to manage and start companies at the MBA, so I can start a new company with the knowledge acquired.

Question :
My low GMAT score is my biggest concern here. There is only one month left before round 3 deadline and I still need to write my essays. So I have the option to prepare good essays and apply with a low GMAT score (and explain that the low score was due to not enough time of preparation, since I only found out about the 2+2 program a few months ago), or to prepare average essays and try to retake the GMAT (not sure if I can increase the score in so little time). What should I do?

Thanks in advance for reviewing my profile! Any advice will be much appreciated.

Tough question, but I think you really have to raise that GMATsignificantly, especially the verbal. Frankly, I would advise you to work for a couple of years, improve your English/verbal score, and then apply to HBS for the regular MBA. But if you must apply now, then get that GMAT up and do the best you can on the essays.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog