Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Dec 2014, 17:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 21:08
1) work experience - 3 Years as a tax accountant at large public accounting firm followed by 1 year as tax analyst at asset management company
2) GMAT: Q49 V41 730
3) College info: University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 3.3, Accounting, 2009
4) Currently a tutor, previously a board member of professional business fraternity in undergrad
5) Certifications: CPA
6) Target Programs: "M7" + Kellogg and Haas
7) R1 and R2 2013 for Fall 2014
8) Finance Concentration (Broad I know, but still trying to determine what I foresee myself doing)

I appreciate your help and am curious to know if I would be a competitive candidate for these programs. What areas could I improve in? Thank you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 356 [0], given: 66

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 21:49
Expert's post
Physics wrote:
1) work experience - 3 Years as a tax accountant at large public accounting firm followed by 1 year as tax analyst at asset management company
2) GMAT: Q49 V41 730
3) College info: University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 3.3, Accounting, 2009
4) Currently a tutor, previously a board member of professional business fraternity in undergrad
5) Certifications: CPA
6) Target Programs: "M7" + Kellogg and Haas
7) R1 and R2 2013 for Fall 2014
8) Finance Concentration (Broad I know, but still trying to determine what I foresee myself doing)

I appreciate your help and am curious to know if I would be a competitive candidate for these programs. What areas could I improve in? Thank you.

The information above is competitive, but not necessarily compelling. I don't see much leadership in the information you provided, and these schools will look for leadership or organizational ability. I also don't see any travel or international exposure. Anything you can do between now and when you apply that allows you to show organizational ability or exposes you to different cultures will be good.

You might be interested in MBA Admissions A-Z.

Best,
Linda

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 20:05
Hi Linda,

Thank you for reviewing my information. I really appreciate it. I read the Admissions A-Z guide you recommended and found it rather helpful.

You bring up some valid concerns, and I think you are correct in identifying them as weaknesses. I have specific leadership activities through my work experience that I think will slightly enhance my application, but not much distinct leadership outside of the office. I am a member of a few not for profits, but have not been able to take on any leadership roles there.

I have ~6 months till application time - what do you suggest I try to focus on? (I think gaining any international exposure is unlikely due to work/time restraints)

In addition, I am a bit concerned that my GPA is on the low-end for my target schools. Do you think this is a legitimate source of concern? My GMAT score was a little lower than expected as I was in the 750-760 range during practice tests. Do you think retaking the GMAT would be a good use of my time to demonstrate my academic ability?

I forgot to mention this when I originally posted, but I am an Indian male for the US (I am not sure that is much of a factor?)

I appreciate any insight you may be able to provide. Thank you for your help.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 356 [0], given: 66

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 21:50
Expert's post
Physics wrote:
Hi Linda,

Thank you for reviewing my information. I really appreciate it. I read the Admissions A-Z guide you recommended and found it rather helpful.

You bring up some valid concerns, and I think you are correct in identifying them as weaknesses. I have specific leadership activities through my work experience that I think will slightly enhance my application, but not much distinct leadership outside of the office. I am a member of a few not for profits, but have not been able to take on any leadership roles there.

I have ~6 months till application time - what do you suggest I try to focus on? (I think gaining any international exposure is unlikely due to work/time restraints)

In addition, I am a bit concerned that my GPA is on the low-end for my target schools. Do you think this is a legitimate source of concern? My GMAT score was a little lower than expected as I was in the 750-760 range during practice tests. Do you think retaking the GMAT would be a good use of my time to demonstrate my academic ability?

I forgot to mention this when I originally posted, but I am an Indian male for the US (I am not sure that is much of a factor?)

I appreciate any insight you may be able to provide. Thank you for your help.

Was there an upward trend to your grades? A bad semester or two? Your grades aren't low, they are just lower than average for the schools you are applying to. Your GMAT is slightly above average.

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog