Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 5

Profile Evaluation Please! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 23:44
Male/25/Caucasian

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
IT Consultant/Business Analyst at top consulting firm- 4 years experience since 2009. Can show growth in career path from analyst to senior analyst to consultant levels.

Also run a private consulting company that specializes in leveraging small business set asides to setup contracts between big business and government. I started it myself in 2008 while in school, and since then have had tremendous growth: 2011 FY Revenue 980K, 2012 FY Revenue: $1.3M

2) Your GMAT.
710 (Q47V41) AWA-6.0 IR- 6

3) College info: Top Prestigious University, 3.3/4.0, Dual Major: Strategy, Design, and Change; International Business, Graduated 2009.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
In college was 4-year varsity Division 1 athlete and 2-time team captain, set 5 school records and was also a member of an organization that developed events for children in the NICU unit, also was a volunteer trainer through a program I created for aspiring young athletes. Currently started and run a summer swim program in DC (where I live) for urban youth and a weekend swim program for professionals. Also volunteer with DC Public Schools by doing weekly reads and learning at elementary schools. Yearly volunteer for an organization that provides Christmas presents for families that have been affected by juvenile cancer and the financial risks that result.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
Microsoft Certified Professional; Looking to get Certified Business Analyst Professional certification if recommended for chances of getting accepted (would be one of youngest holders with certification)

6) Your target programs.
Top 15, ideally top 10. (Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, Sloan TOP)

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
R1 2013-2014

8) Your post-MBA goal.
My post-MBA goal is to get several years experience as a strategy consultant at McKinsey or Bain, which would hopefully facilitate and grow the business ideas that I have and currently work on, but also make a global impact to society. Everything I do now (from my company to my volunteering) only affects a small sample (local community), and I believe an MBA will help develop the skill-set I need to grow my business ideas into scalable organizations while also making strides in global social concerns.

9) Additional Info
Language fluency in 3 languages, advanced in 1, and developmental in Mandarin. I came to this country as a war refugee on asylum. My GPA is lower than I'd like, but 4 months before I began college I had a traumatic brain illness that took away my ability to read and write. I re-taught myself and went to school that same year and can show progressive grade improvement throughout my 4 years, and now I actually participate in numerous events where I speak to audiences about what I've gone through and the will to not give up. (Is this something I would share on an application?)

Thank you kindly for your input.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation Please! [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 01:53
Thanks for the posting.

If you properly market yourself in the admissions process, I see you as a top candidate at all top business programs. Your overall life and professional story is compelling on many fronts, but it is also very complicated and needs to be properly presented or else it will sounds like a long, unrelated list of activities. This is the most common problem with candidates like you who have just so much and where it becomes difficult to choose what to focus on in your applications. I actually think that the Stanford application is ideally suited for you -- and one which you can get your best content across effectively. HBS will be the most difficult to given the small size of the application - but there are other ways to get who you are across to admissions if HBS is your goal.

I recommend that you apply to all of the top programs - HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Sloan, Haas, Columbia and Kellogg. I would also apply to as many R1 as possible as you are the type of candidate who should be setting the standard. I am not so concerned about your GPA -- as your GPA/GMAT combination show that you can handle the academic side of the program. Again, my biggest concern is that you overwhelm admissions with too much content and they do not understand the totality of your candidacy.

Given that you are a high potential candidate, I recommend investing the time, energy and resources into this process in order to make sure that you get the best opportunities and the best terms out there. Get started ASAP -- so that you can get as many applications in R1 as possible.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Profile Evaluation Please!   [#permalink] 29 May 2013, 01:53