Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation, Please? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
amannce wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
amannce wrote:
23, Female, US Citizen

1) These are all while FT studying:
i. Financial analyst intern (1year – current – one of the nation’s leading commercial real estate brokerage firms) – underwriting and analyzing commercial real estate assets. Research on markets. Aided in training 2 interns.
ii. Asset Management - Project Coordinator (5months – same place I am interning at)
iii. Administrative Assistant (6months or so – small startup law firm) – basically started everything from the ground up and laid the foundation necessary to run the law firm: starting the filing/storing system, monitoring client database, writing up the content for the website, wrote and ran a marketing plan, oversaw office assistant/intern’s work, trained 2 new office assistants.

2) GMAT: Expecting to take it in July 2013… targeting at least a 700.

3) College info:
University of Houston
i. BBA Finance & BS Psychology (August 2013) – Both Magna Cum Laude***
ii. Cum. GPA: 3.04, Finance GPA: 3.67, Psychology GPA: 3.75
*** My university’s latin honor only calculates the last two years GPA… I have close to 3.7 in the last two years.

NOTE: I have a story about why cum. GPA is low... I changed my major 7 times.

4) No EC or significant community service – I did volunteer at a couple of places during my college years, but nothing extraordinary.
5) No certifications
6) Target Programs:
USA:
Stanford, Booth, NYU, UCLA, Cornell, Duke, Columbia, Rice and UT (UT is my safety school)

UK (let me just say that it is my dream to go to UK to do my MS in fina-related/MBA, but the main focus is to go to a top school):
Imperial, Warwick, LBS, Cass and Oxford
7) I am going to apply in Sep/Oct 2013 for R1 (to start school next year)
8) Post-MBA/MS goal is to get into asset/investment management services.

I am mainly targeting MSFin or asset/investment related programs in those schools. Some of them accept fresh grads for MBA, in that case, I will be applying to the MBA program.

Thanks for your post.

In my response, I'm assuming that you get at least 700 and that you are only applying to these MiF programs if they welcome early career applicants. If they don't, it doesn't make sense to apply, and that you get a finance-related job between your graduation in 2013 and matriculation in 2014.

The following MBA programs are stretches for you: Stanford (MBA), Booth, CBS, NYU, Cornell, and Duke. If you work an additional year, your chances would improve dramatically. You have a better chance at UCLA, Rice, and UT.

Have you considered the MS in management programs at LBS or Duke? Those are aimed at early career applicants.

Best,
Linda

Thank you for the reply!

Yes, I just got promoted to being a financial analyst so I will have a one year of full-time experience within that time frame of 2013-2014. I did look at the MS Mana at LBS, but I wasn't sure whether that was something worth pursuing. As in, is that equivalent to an MBA? or will I have to do an MBA later on, despite of the MS in Mana?

My plan was to take a MsF and then do an MBA, if need be. But with a MS Mana, I am a little confused since both degrees deal with the management aspect of business.

Congratulations on your promotion.

You're asking a good question, and the answer is to a certain extent unknown or uncertain. It is still unknown if in certain fields (consulting, financial services) the MiM will suffice. If not and you are in one of those fields, you will need to return to school and do the MBA.

We discussed this very question a bit [ur=https://blog.accepted.com/2013/03/07/admissions-straight-talk-interview-with-sheryle-dirks/l]here[/url]:

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation, Please? [#permalink]