Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: Other (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation please? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 06:55
Hi!

I'm considering applying for an MBA in the US and I'm starting to panic a little bit given how close it is to the application deadlines. Hopefully, this will help allay some of my fears. I would love to hear your thoughts on what you think my chances are. I'm currently considering Booth, MIT Sloan, Columbia and Wharton. I'd also love to hear if there's anything I could do to improve my chances - if not for this year, at least for next year if it comes to that.

- Nationality: Indian
- Education: Bachelor of Commerce from an Indian University. We don't use a GPA system but with my grades I'm in the top 10%.
- GMAT Score: I haven't taken the GMAT yet but I expect that I will score in the 700-730 range.

Work Experience:

- 4 year of Big 4 Experience in Expat tax - 1 of which was in India and 3 in New York.

Additional info:

- I was the head of our Department's Finance Committee in College.
- I am a member of the LGBTQ Network at work.

My primary reason for an MBA is to switch careers from Expat tax to PE or Investment Banking. What I see as a potential weakness is the fact that I do not have anything signifiant in terms of community service or extracurriculars. I also don't have much experience leading a large team - which unfortunately isn't possible in our business model. I primarily oversee and extensively review the work of two or three junior employees and I have experience training new members on our team. I am also an Indian male so that certainly does not put me in a desirable position.

As far as strengths go, I can get excellent recommendations from my employers. I am also slightly different from the average Indian male applicant who has a background in IT because my experience is in Expat tax. I have lived most of my life in the Middle East and the US so I have spent a large portion of my life with people of various cultural backgrounds - a significant part of my work also involves working with people in different countries so I have a large network of people in different countries of the world - I realize I may be clutching at straws here trying to differentiate myself from the other applicants :)

Given all of this, I would love to hear your thoughts on what you think my chances are and if there is anything I can/should do to improve my chances.

Many thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation please? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 13:14
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. You've actually done a pretty good job of self-analyzing your strengths and weaknesses, nice! ;) So you're definitely pretty aware of how you may be viewed by the admissions committee, and also have some thoughts on ways to stand out which IS important for sure.

I agree with your assessment of your strengths and weaknesses. Though I wouldn't worry too much about lacking experience leading a large team-- even if you lead and manage a few employees, that is still good experience you can include.

FYI your GMAT will make a big difference (in that sub-700 could make it really difficult; not that 700+ will necessarily get you in ;) ). So just keep that caveat in mind!!

I would really play up the international experiences you have and what you learned from that, about interacting with others from different cultures, etc etc. That could be a good way to stand out along with the slightly different area of work you've been doing.

The 4 schools you mention are all in a similar tier (with Wharton possibly being most of a reach, though also a good fit with your background and goals). So you should probably add 1-2 schools of a lower tier for better odds. With your finance experience and aspirations, perhaps Stern, Ross, UCLA?? And/or a school ranked more in the 12-20-ish range that appeals? Be sure to really research what you most want in a program-- in terms of region, setting, class size, profiles, curriculum, teaching styles, hiring profiles, etc.

The most important things right now are to focus on WHAT YOU CAN STILL CHANGE within your application-- namely your GMAT and your essays!! Your essays are the one place in the application where you create something from scratch to represent who you are. So don't underestimate their importance. That is where you make your case and tell your story-- including who you are, what you'll bring to the program, why you want an MBA, why now, and why xyz school is right for you.

Good luck to you, let us know how else we can help!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php