Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:42

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 1520 Q800 V720
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 16:37
Hello, thank you for all your efforts to help MBA-hopefuls! I am currently working full-time as an engineer and a part-time MS candidate (12/2013). I plan to apply 2015 after I serve the Korean military next year. I was hoping to better identify my strengths and weaknesses to best prepare to get in my dream schools.

Background
Korean male; age 27 (29 when applying); trilingual (Korean, Spanish, English); 12 years in Latin America

Education & Statistics
~750 GMAT (practice tests 750+)
1520 GRE (720V/800Q) - 1st time (equiv. to 760 GMAT per ETS)
3.16 BS GPA (ascending 2.7, 3.1, 3.2, 3.7) in Nuclear Engineering from University of Wisconsin, 2004 - 2008
3.82 MS GPA in Nuclear Engineering (top 3 pgm) and Certificate in Energy Analysis & Policy from University of Wisconsin, 2008 - 2010
3.76 MS GPA in Engineering Management: Risk & Revenue Management from Columbia University, 2011 - 2013

Work Experience
Full time work: 4 years as nuclear core design engineer at largest nuclear utility company (2010 – present). Apart from normal engineering work, I also work on revenue management and financial/operations strategies through simulation modeling (published papers as main author and presented work at various conferences);

Grad school: Two years as research/project assistant; research on battery-type nuclear reactors for developing nations & thesis on financial modeling for global expansion of nuclear power (publications as supporting author);

Undergrad: Relevant internships in US, Argentina, Colombia, and Panama.

Post-grad Extracurricular
International Youth Nuclear Congress - Technical Track Manager (10hr/wk 2013 - current);
Higher Education Outreach Program at company - Founder and program owner; received 1 national and 1 local award for accomplishments (10hr/wk 2012 - current);
Developing Nuclear Professionals at company - Professional Development Chair (10hr/wk 2011 - 2013);
Startup NPO - co-VP and R&D tem leader (20hr/wk 2011 - 2013);
Active conference activities with published works.

Goal
Management consultant specializing in the energy industry. Ultimately, I want to focus on researching and consulting efficient methods to distribute apt energy systems to remote areas and developing nations.

Concerns
Undergrad GPA, third Masters, weak extracurricular (*could you suggest a few good examples please?)

Wish list
HBS, Sloan, Kellogg, Berkely, Duke, Darden

Comments
I would like to address why I have 2 MS and pursuing a third. While working, the gap between the engineering and finance department spurred me to do independent projects on resource optimization. I felt the need to learn simulations and optimization strategies, so I enrolled at Columbia’s IEOR department to study risk & revenue management and pursued my 2nd Masters (I enjoyed applying my learning to company practices … and my company gracefully paid for my tuition). Most recently, I am developing a nuclear cycle length optimization model that could potentially save millions in annual cost using stochastic modeling and neutronics codes. I wish to enroll in an MBA (after military service) to expand my discipline in more multidisciplinary fields at a management level. I am also eager to meet talents with various backgrounds. Any reality check and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Super thanks in advance!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
happypices wrote:
Hello, thank you for all your efforts to help MBA-hopefuls! I am currently working full-time as an engineer and a part-time MS candidate (12/2013). I plan to apply 2015 after I serve the Korean military next year. I was hoping to better identify my strengths and weaknesses to best prepare to get in my dream schools.

Background
Korean male; age 27 (29 when applying); trilingual (Korean, Spanish, English); 12 years in Latin America

Education & Statistics
~750 GMAT (practice tests 750+)
1520 GRE (720V/800Q) - 1st time (equiv. to 760 GMAT per ETS)
3.16 BS GPA (ascending 2.7, 3.1, 3.2, 3.7) in Nuclear Engineering from University of Wisconsin, 2004 - 2008
3.82 MS GPA in Nuclear Engineering (top 3 pgm) and Certificate in Energy Analysis & Policy from University of Wisconsin, 2008 - 2010
3.76 MS GPA in Engineering Management: Risk & Revenue Management from Columbia University, 2011 - 2013

Work Experience
Full time work: 4 years as nuclear core design engineer at largest nuclear utility company (2010 – present). Apart from normal engineering work, I also work on revenue management and financial/operations strategies through simulation modeling (published papers as main author and presented work at various conferences);

Grad school: Two years as research/project assistant; research on battery-type nuclear reactors for developing nations & thesis on financial modeling for global expansion of nuclear power (publications as supporting author);

Undergrad: Relevant internships in US, Argentina, Colombia, and Panama.

Post-grad Extracurricular
International Youth Nuclear Congress - Technical Track Manager (10hr/wk 2013 - current);
Higher Education Outreach Program at company - Founder and program owner; received 1 national and 1 local award for accomplishments (10hr/wk 2012 - current);
Developing Nuclear Professionals at company - Professional Development Chair (10hr/wk 2011 - 2013);
Startup NPO - co-VP and R&D tem leader (20hr/wk 2011 - 2013);
Active conference activities with published works.

Goal
Management consultant specializing in the energy industry. Ultimately, I want to focus on researching and consulting efficient methods to distribute apt energy systems to remote areas and developing nations.

Concerns
Undergrad GPA, third Masters, weak extracurricular (*could you suggest a few good examples please?)

Wish list
HBS, Sloan, Kellogg, Berkely, Duke, Darden

Comments
I would like to address why I have 2 MS and pursuing a third. While working, the gap between the engineering and finance department spurred me to do independent projects on resource optimization. I felt the need to learn simulations and optimization strategies, so I enrolled at Columbia’s IEOR department to study risk & revenue management and pursued my 2nd Masters (I enjoyed applying my learning to company practices … and my company gracefully paid for my tuition). Most recently, I am developing a nuclear cycle length optimization model that could potentially save millions in annual cost using stochastic modeling and neutronics codes. I wish to enroll in an MBA (after military service) to expand my discipline in more multidisciplinary fields at a management level. I am also eager to meet talents with various backgrounds. Any reality check and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Super thanks in advance!!!

Hey dude!
First of all congrats on that fantastic GMAT!!! Amazing stuff (I would be more impressed if you weren't a nuclear engineer... :) )

Basically things look great. You have amazing Masters degrees with amazing grades. Your UG GPA may be a bit lower than it could be, with with the double masters and the GMAT you more than made up for that and don't have to worry about it at all. Your work experience and industry are fantastic. But what I liked most of all, was how SPECIFIC your goals are. (and the AdComs will like this too). Basically, by having suuuuch specific goals you have already dealt with the problem of "How do I explain why I am going for a third masters".

The one other thing you can work on over the next year and a half is your volunteer work, which seems to me to be a bit lacking. It's important that you have at least one post-college solid volunteer position, so just find that and stick with it till you apply, and you are good. Best would be some sort of leadership position in a volunteer group. And with that, you will have checked off everything on the list, and will only have to write fantastic essays!

Hope this helps!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!