Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

Profile evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 09:19
Hi Accepted.com,

I seek your help in assessing what chances I have at getting into some of my target business schools.
My profile:

Nationality : Indian

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
I've completed 2.5 years as an Analyst at Deloitte Consulting. My prime focus has been on customizing and implementing Business Intelligence tools for Fortune 500 companies, helping them make their Financial Planning and Consolidation functions more efficient. I'm primed to get my first promotion (to the Consultant level) in August next year. I've exceeded expectations in all my projects and have received appreciation in the form of awards.

2) Your GMAT.
Took my GMAT today - 720 (IR - 8, AWA - awaited).

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
Majored in Computer Engineering from Delhi College of Engineering (top 10 engineering school in India) in 2011. My college doesn't use the GPA system; I scored 70% overall. The topper of my class scored 80%. I'd have been in the top 30% of my class.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
1. Captain of University Football and Badminton teams - Won at many Universities across India including IITs.
2. Founding member of Quizzing club at college, member of Entrepreneurship Cell and Master of Ceremony for its Annual Summit.
3. At work, I've led 200 professionals in a program to spread awareness about and help preserve Delhi's heritage and monuments, as a part of the firm-wide CSR initiative.
4. I'm also a part of the Industry Focus Group, which focuses at imparting domain knowledge of various industries to which our clients belong to our co-workers. Within that, I lead the Communications, Quizzing and Finance Knowledge areas.
5. Active member of Greenpeace.org's India chapter.
6. Part-time advisor and content developer for two early-stage startups (one online quizzing platform and one transportation logistics company).

I'm also learning Spanish (although I don't think that counts).

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
I'm a CFA Level 2 candidate for June '14. I hope to have cleared L2 by the time I apply for graduate school in Sept/Oct 2014.
In addition to this, I have completed many finance-oriented courses from Wharton, Yale and HEC Paris with distinction, on Coursera.

6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world. If the programs you are targeting are not listed here, I may not respond due to lack of time.
My target FT MBA programs are: Stern, Tuck, Darden, Ross, Anderson, Duke.

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
I plan to apply in R1 next year for the Fall 2015 intake.

8) Your post-MBA goal.
Most of my work centers around Corporate Financial Planning and Management Reporting (with main focus on IT) and I've been building domain knowledge by way of the CFA and online courses. But I want to graduate full time to Investment Banking/Investment Management. An MBA will provide me, among other things, the right opportunities.

3 critical questions:
1. I feel that my GMAT is on the lower side, considering that I belong to the over-represented Indian-Male-Engineer group. I had been scoring in the 750+ region on mock MGMAT and GMATPrep exams. Do you think there is value in retaking the exam in the hope of getting a 750+?
2. I see that you advise candidates to worry more about creating a GOOD application. Is it possible for you to give me some pointers on how to get started in this regard?
3. Does having a H1-B work visa improve one's chances?

I've exceeded your 500-word recommendation, but please excuse me: I tried to be detailed to give you the complete picture.

Your review will be of immense help!
Thank you!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 07:13
Hi,
Please find below details on my profile. Will be great if you can provide the evaluation.
GMAT:640(43-Quant, 34-Verbal)
Programs of interest-Part-time MBA in Kellogg, Chicago Booth and NYU Stern
Educational Background-
Masters in Engineering Management- Duke University GPA:3.45/4.0
Undergraduate degree in electronics and telecom engineering GPA:3.8/4.0
Professional Background
work experience- 4 years as a Strategic client relationship partner- Role includes strategy, business development, client relationship
International exposure- worked in chile, argentina and the states.
Community service with WIT (women in technology) to help them build their website for a fund raiser.

Please let me know if you need more details also your views on my chances in the above universities.
Thank you very much for your help.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 13:55
Expert's post
First, your GMAT question: your score is OK for the programs you mention for your demographic group. It qualifies you. But not more. Retaking and earning 750+ will definitely strengthen your application – if you are reasonably certain you can earn such a score with a reasonable amount of effort, it makes sense to go for it. Your academic record looks OK but not great, so a higher GMAT would be all the more helpful if possible. You can credibly apply to the given programs -- a good range of reasonable reaches -- with the current GMAT, though it puts more weight on the other components of the application to distinguish you.

Creating a strong application rests on understanding your strengths and weaknesses and making a compelling case for your candidacy in the context of the given school. Our entire website has a plethora of information on this very point; I’d suggest you review our comprehensive resources.

Regarding the visa, I can’t say for sure. But in my experience the visa situation has to make sense for the particular candidate and his/her unique situation.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 09:20
CindyTAccepted wrote:
First, your GMAT question: your score is OK for the programs you mention for your demographic group. It qualifies you. But not more. Retaking and earning 750+ will definitely strengthen your application – if you are reasonably certain you can earn such a score with a reasonable amount of effort, it makes sense to go for it. Your academic record looks OK but not great, so a higher GMAT would be all the more helpful if possible. You can credibly apply to the given programs -- a good range of reasonable reaches -- with the current GMAT, though it puts more weight on the other components of the application to distinguish you.

Creating a strong application rests on understanding your strengths and weaknesses and making a compelling case for your candidacy in the context of the given school. Our entire website has a plethora of information on this very point; I’d suggest you review our comprehensive resources.

Regarding the visa, I can’t say for sure. But in my experience the visa situation has to make sense for the particular candidate and his/her unique situation.

Hi Cindy,
Thank you for your reply. This is very helpful. 750+ does seem like a long shot :(. I was concerned as the averages shown by Kellogg and Chicago Booth are 695. Do you think since 750 is out of reach I should go ahead and apply with 640?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 10:55
Expert's post
First, I owe you a big apology: I made a mistake -- even though you clearly wrote 640, I somehow was thinking of 710 when I wrote my reply. So I'm glad you asked the follow-up question, as I have a chance to correct my error.

No, 640 is too low for those programs. To be a viable applicant at those programs, you would need a GMAT near or above 700. I suggest retaking and try to reach this level first. If you score 750, well, super!

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog