Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17, Sloan '17
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 16:46
Hi, I'd love any feedback!

GPA
3.16 from top 30 liberal arts in America, economics degree. 27 at matriculation, white, American.

Work Experience
5 years at matriculation. My strongest point by far. I do corporate sales of enterprise software for an F100 company and have been in a client facing role from day 1-I finished in the top 10% of sales reps nationwide (while being considerably younger) for my first three years. Each of the three years have been north of $70 million in sales. Will be able to get glowing recommendations from this.

GMAT
Taking in May. Testing between 670 and 730. Shooting for the upper end, obviously, but let's say 700 as a guesstimate.

Extracurriculars
Marathon runner, volunteer as a tutor and have worked with special needs kids in the past, frat member in college...nothing too out of the ordinary, but fair work

Goals
To launch a digital health software startup. Need a better understanding of logistics, healthcare delivery systems (on provider side), and corporate finance to be able to be well versed for doing it. Very passionate about health & wellness.

One side note-I believe I interview fairly well. Not meant in a cocky manner, but my job has made me very easy with public speaking, meeting new people, and remaining calm.

Target schools
HBS (major stretch, I know)
MIT (another big stretch...)
Tuck
Yale SOM
Booth
Darden
Owen-Vandy
Georgetown-Mcdonough

If I don't get into a top 25, I'll likely do part time

Any thoughts are HUGELY APPRECIATED
Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 00:50
Expert's post
Tegan490 wrote:
Hi, I'd love any feedback!

GPA
3.16 from top 30 liberal arts in America, economics degree. 27 at matriculation, white, American.

Work Experience
5 years at matriculation. My strongest point by far. I do corporate sales of enterprise software for an F100 company and have been in a client facing role from day 1-I finished in the top 10% of sales reps nationwide (while being considerably younger) for my first three years. Each of the three years have been north of $70 million in sales. Will be able to get glowing recommendations from this.

GMAT
Taking in May. Testing between 670 and 730. Shooting for the upper end, obviously, but let's say 700 as a guesstimate.

Extracurriculars
Marathon runner, volunteer as a tutor and have worked with special needs kids in the past, frat member in college...nothing too out of the ordinary, but fair work

Goals
To launch a digital health software startup. Need a better understanding of logistics, healthcare delivery systems (on provider side), and corporate finance to be able to be well versed for doing it. Very passionate about health & wellness.

One side note-I believe I interview fairly well. Not meant in a cocky manner, but my job has made me very easy with public speaking, meeting new people, and remaining calm.

Target schools
HBS (major stretch, I know)
MIT (another big stretch...)
Tuck
Yale SOM
Booth
Darden
Owen-Vandy
Georgetown-Mcdonough

If I don't get into a top 25, I'll likely do part time

Any thoughts are HUGELY APPRECIATED
Thank you!

Hey there good sir,
Allright let's get started!
So your work experience seems awesome. Fantastic results are the most important thing, be they individual or team results. The other two really helpful items are: 1) Leadership 2) Promotions. So if you have any of that, let me know, and how much and so on.

Obviously your GMAT will play a huuuuuuuuge role, but there's no point in talking about that till you get it. Just come back with the highest score you can, and be prepared to retake if things don't go as well as you hope. For you, I should say though that getting a high GMAT is more important than for others, given that your GPA is on the low side, especially for HBS/MIT/Tuck/Booth. Prove to them that you are capable of academic awesomeness by beating the heck out of that GMAT, and things will change.

The one thing in your profile that so far doesn't make aaaaaaaaall that much sense is your goals. You come from sales but want to launch a digital health software startup? Where does this come from? How can you prove that you would be successful? Why do you want to do this? I'm not saying these goals can't work, but I don't yet see it, and it's something you might want to think about.

Other than that, best of luck on your GMAT, and let me know how you do when you get that score.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17, Sloan '17
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 05:49
Gmats-740, took yesterday (q49 v41, IR-8)-very happy about this score! My school list has also changed. Also, one major promotion (from lead renewal negotiatior to new business acquisition manager on larger clients), and have been on leadership committees and in focus groups since I began with the company.

New working list looks a bit like this:
HBS
MIT
Stanford
UCLA
Haas
Tuck
Yale SOM
Booth/Kellogg
Darden
Kenan Flagler (partial family connection)

Also-do you think my high GMAT might bring me into scholarship consideration at any of these programs?

Only drawback I can see is low ugrad gpa (3.16), but I'm hoping the economics degree and fairly strong school rank can help overshadow that.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: profile evaluation please [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 23:06
Expert's post
Tegan490 wrote:
Gmats-740, took yesterday (q49 v41, IR-8)-very happy about this score! My school list has also changed. Also, one major promotion (from lead renewal negotiatior to new business acquisition manager on larger clients), and have been on leadership committees and in focus groups since I began with the company.

New working list looks a bit like this:
HBS
MIT
Stanford
UCLA
Haas
Tuck
Yale SOM
Booth/Kellogg
Darden
Kenan Flagler (partial family connection)

Also-do you think my high GMAT might bring me into scholarship consideration at any of these programs?

Only drawback I can see is low ugrad gpa (3.16), but I'm hoping the economics degree and fairly strong school rank can help overshadow that.

Dude, Well done!
I am sure you are ecstatic about this score. It's a fantastic one, and one that opens a lot of new doors for you (which I am sure you have realized). I think your list is quite fair. Most in Top 10 and then one or two in Top 20 is pretty much what I would recommend for you (very roughly. I still don't have a very clear idea about your work, although it sounds good from what you have written). Whether you would get a scholarship or not is not something I'd like to try and predict, but let's say that it's more likely in the Top 20 than in the top 5 schools.

Looking good man, now all you need is a killer app,
Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!