Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.67
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 06:24
I am a Mechanical Engineer with Bachelor's in Engineering from University of Pune ( 62% first class). I worked in India for a MNC in manufacturing and engineering roles for 4 years. I went for my Master's in Manufacturing Engineering in USA and completed with GPA 3.78. I worked for 2.5 years as consultant in USA for top MNC in Diesel engine development area. My extra carricular are better than average ( prizes in cultural competitions, leadership roles, won technical competitions). I plan to take GMAT in couple of months and expect score around 700. I wish to know kind of rankings for schools where I can apply. Do you think I can be a strong case at Ivy League schools or do I need to plan little lower schools.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 05:33
Expert's post
You seem to have the raw stats for a top business school, but because the ivys and stanfords, etc. get so many applications, it's tough to say what your odds are other than you have the same odds as every other highly qualified applicant: about a 6-10% chance of getting in. You would be wise to broaden your school targets to also include some in the top tier but outside the super elite schools. I personally am baffled every year how everyone gets so obsessed with the ivy league as if they are the only places you can get a good business education and access to good jobs. I realize that as an international student you want to go to a school with a good international reputation and instant recognition, but one thing you might also consider is the network you will rely on for your career. If your plan is to work outside the US, you might be just as well off going to a good school in Europe or Asia, where your post MBA network will be closer and more accessible.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.67
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 08:48
Thanks a lot Bryan ! This is very helpful information. I am actually planning only for 1 year MBA programs ( Executive-MBA). I am getting calls from HULT school at California campus for Sept 2014 ( my GMAT score is expected by them in July14). I think it is also in top 60 rankings. Do you suggest I need to accept this offer or wait for next year admissions for better schools. I am more inclined towards new product development and wish to start my own company one day. What are good chances for me to get to work in a startup company in Silicon Valley.

Also do you have any suggestion about dong an MBA from a top business school in India. DO you know good schools for courses in entrepreneurship skills, international business etc. for an MBA in India with a global outlook.

Thanks
Vishal
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 14:55
Expert's post
see below

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 15:00
Expert's post
Vishal:

Four years of work experience is a bit light for EMBA programs, but if you already have an offer, you should probably go ahead and take it. If you want your own company, your only goal should be to build a network and learn what you need to fill the gaps. Recruiters are not a concern since you won't be getting a "regular" job. Any accredited b-school will likely give you the tools you need. It's much more about what you put in and how motivated you are than it is about how good the school is. The better schools have better companies who recruit, so again, if you are not seeking this, you'd be better off getting going. As for India, you'd be safe an any in the top 10--cross check against the world rankings, however.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews