Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 23:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please (25 yrs, 730 GMAT)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Please (25 yrs, 730 GMAT) [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 11:18
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
2 years as an investment consultant at one of the world's largest asset management companies. I work directly with sales and end clients to identify a client's need/ask and provide an investment solution. Will have 3 years of experience upon applying next year. Worked in SF for 2 years, and will be moving to an office on the east coast before the end of 2013 to initiate our team's presence in that office.

2) Your GMAT.
730 (Q45/V44). I got an 800 on Math SAT, in case there are concerns about my Q score.

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation.
Notre Dame. GPA: 3.18. Finance Major. Graduated May 2011. My business school GPA (3.4) was higher than my overall GPA (3.18). I struggled with non-business class requirements like philosophy and theology.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
-Raised over $10,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society by competing in triathlons through Team In Training.
-Created and launched my own iPhone app game.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
Level 2 CFA candidate. Failed level 2 in June (Band 10, barely missed it) and will take again next year.

6) Your target programs.
Wharton, Stanford, HBS, Booth, Columbia

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
Plan to apply R1 2014-2015.

8) Your post-MBA goal.
Either 1) something more on the individual security analysis level like a hedge fund or portfolio manager or 2) something for an actual consulting company (BCG, Bain, McKinsey) where clients are specifically paying for the consulting experience and there is more leeway to provide honest advice.

I'd like to know whether or not my target programs are realistic and any weaknesses that might stand out on my application, or strengths that I should highlight?

Thanks,
Dan
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please (25 yrs, 730 GMAT) [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 12:02
Expert's post
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your post. Congrats on the great overall GMAT score.

As I see it, the strengths from your info here include:

-GMAT score (overall)
-solid work experience
-triathalon/fundraising experience
-creation of the iphone app especially if has been fairly successful, but still interesting experience

Potential weaknesses:
-GPA slightly
-Math percentile (GMAT) slightly
-lower-than average years of experience but I think with 3 at matriculation you'll be ok if you make a good case for 'why get an MBA'
-goals could be further solidified

Unknowns:
-essays/recommendations/interview
-more on leadership experiences; teamwork skills; communication skills; influencing others; making an impact; going above and beyond expectations in your role, etc (all of those types of examples strengthen your application; generally provided through essays as well as recs/interview)

So in terms of schools, you've listed pretty much the 5 most competitive programs out there... Stanford in particular generally has the smallest selection % since they also have a smaller than average class, and highest average GMAT score. ;) In general I would say you have some of the qualities/strengths schools are looking for, even top schools...the challenge is that there are a LOT of well qualified applicants like yourself applying to those schools... so sometimes it really takes that 'wow factor' or very compelling essays that help you stand out, get noticed, be remembered, and show why you are unique and what you'll bring to the class... in order to get into one of those top programs you mentioned.

So you may want to add 1-2 schools outside that list for better chances, though only a program you'd be happy attending of course.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php