Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 10:17
Some of my statistics:
Undergraduate: Bachelors in Economics / Business from UC Santa Barbara
University, GPA 3.3/4.0
GMAT: 640 (Q48, V29, AWA 6.0)

Background:
I have 5+ years of experience: 2+ years in management consulting for a world wide firm. Received an early promotion from Analyst to Consultant (focus in the Healthcare field).

Left consulting to work to work as an internal consultant for a bank / lending institution. Lead expansion of subprime units as well as the formal integration (from an independent company into the lender's official company). Transitioned over to Commercial Lending to implement LEAN initiatives (reducing cycle times) as well as implementing Basel II compliance initiatives (all major lenders must abide to). Lead implementation of new tool across entire department (nation wide) and recently received a promotion.

Community activities
-Member of Urban Land Institute Young Leaders Group; volunteer with Habitat for Humanity events;
-Mentor for Saturday Business Academy (created through Riordan Fellows Alumni Association) for 1 year
-Assistant coach for Orca (youth group, 10& under, 14 & under) boys and girls water polo club team (3 years)

Extra courses taken to increase knowledge of banking / lending:
-Taking courses through UCI Extentsion to achieve a Certificate of Light Construction and Development (GPA: 3.5)
-Real Estate Principles course via loca community college
-Passed Real Estate Salesperson exam

My target schools are UCLA, Haas and USC--UCLA would be the absolutely best fit school for me in regards to location and cost.

I understand my GMAT is low especially in the verbal arena. I am in process of re-taking the test to address my verbal score.

I would appreciate your comments on my profile and my chances of getting into one of my target schools.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2007, 20:04
Expert's post
misterJJ2u wrote:
Some of my statistics:
Undergraduate: Bachelors in Economics / Business from UC Santa Barbara
University, GPA 3.3/4.0
GMAT: 640 (Q48, V29, AWA 6.0)

Background:
I have 5+ years of experience: 2+ years in management consulting for a world wide firm. Received an early promotion from Analyst to Consultant (focus in the Healthcare field).

Left consulting to work to work as an internal consultant for a bank / lending institution. Lead expansion of subprime units as well as the formal integration (from an independent company into the lender's official company). Transitioned over to Commercial Lending to implement LEAN initiatives (reducing cycle times) as well as implementing Basel II compliance initiatives (all major lenders must abide to). Lead implementation of new tool across entire department (nation wide) and recently received a promotion.

Community activities
-Member of Urban Land Institute Young Leaders Group; volunteer with Habitat for Humanity events;
-Mentor for Saturday Business Academy (created through Riordan Fellows Alumni Association) for 1 year
-Assistant coach for Orca (youth group, 10& under, 14 & under) boys and girls water polo club team (3 years)

Extra courses taken to increase knowledge of banking / lending:
-Taking courses through UCI Extentsion to achieve a Certificate of Light Construction and Development (GPA: 3.5)
-Real Estate Principles course via loca community college
-Passed Real Estate Salesperson exam

My target schools are UCLA, Haas and USC--UCLA would be the absolutely best fit school for me in regards to location and cost.

I understand my GMAT is low especially in the verbal arena. I am in process of re-taking the test to address my verbal score.

I would appreciate your comments on my profile and my chances of getting into one of my target schools.

misterJJ2u,

Sorry for the delayed reply; the first-round deadlines really swamped me. I like your profile; it seems distinctive, uncliched, like a real person pursuing actual personal interests. Aside from your GMAT score, which is your biggest issue, you may have to work hard to prove your leadership in your essays. I think you should get into USC. Haas and UCLA will be definite longshots but only because of that GMAT. If you could raise closer to 700 I'd call you semi-competitive at those schools. Sorry to be sounding like the GMAT is a big deal, but I think for you it may be.

Best of luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2007, 19:29
Hey Paul,

Well, I took your advice to heart and gave the GMAT one more try. This time I came out with a 680 (q44,v39).

I'm stoked on the overall score but bummed only because had I kept my quant at a 48 as i had done twice before, I would have broken the 700+ barrier.

Now that my GMAT is (somewhat) closer to 700, do you feel I have a competitive chance at getting into UCLA?

I'm wondering if I should rush my application for round 2 or wait, take the test again (to get my 7x0) and apply to round 3 with a stronger app.

I've already written out my essays (from last year) but need to dust 'em off to ensure I have a tight story about my leadership, charisma, team-building skills, etc.

Do I have a chance with UCLA for round 2 with a 680????

Thanks,
JJ
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2007, 19:12
Expert's post
misterJJ2u wrote:
Hey Paul,

Well, I took your advice to heart and gave the GMAT one more try. This time I came out with a 680 (q44,v39).

I'm stoked on the overall score but bummed only because had I kept my quant at a 48 as i had done twice before, I would have broken the 700+ barrier.

Now that my GMAT is (somewhat) closer to 700, do you feel I have a competitive chance at getting into UCLA?

I'm wondering if I should rush my application for round 2 or wait, take the test again (to get my 7x0) and apply to round 3 with a stronger app.

I've already written out my essays (from last year) but need to dust 'em off to ensure I have a tight story about my leadership, charisma, team-building skills, etc.

Do I have a chance with UCLA for round 2 with a 680????

Thanks,
JJ

misterJJ2u,

You are competitive at UCLA with a 680, so don't delay just to retake the GMAT. *Do* delay if meeting the round 2 deadline means submitting a "rushed" application. You want to submit the strongest application you can. Do note, however, that odds of admission drop off for third-round applicants.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 00:20
Thanks again for the reply. I feel much more confident about submitting my application for R2 now.

Shameless plug:
I just bought your book on B-School Application Essays. Contents were great and I plan on using your book as a key resource for my essays!

-JJ
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 21:34
Expert's post
misterJJ2u wrote:
Thanks again for the reply. I feel much more confident about submitting my application for R2 now.

Shameless plug:
I just bought your book on B-School Application Essays. Contents were great and I plan on using your book as a key resource for my essays!

-JJ

You're very welcome and thanks for the "shameless" plug. :) If you'd consider leaving a positive review on the book's Amazon.com page, I'd be eternally in you debt.

Best of luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 15:02
Hi Paul,

What are you thoughts about this year's application pool?

Last I heard, from the UCLA application forum, R2 applications had hit a record number. I'm sure the slowdown of the economy had nothing to do with it (mmm hmmm) but it seems as if admittance into UCLA will be as tough as it can be this year.

I still have until the 31st to re-take the GMAT and raise my score. 680 isn't bad but I just saw that an R1 applicant got dinged and he had a 720. The only two people I know (so far) who have gotten acceptances from UCLA both had 760s.

I already submitted my application for R2 and worked day and night to get that thing polished off. However, I don't think my 680 will cut it. What are your thoughts? Re-take? What trends have you seen thus far?

-JJ (aka MisterJJ2u)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 22:30
bump...

Any thoughts? Just saw that another R1 applicant for Anderson that got dinged...with a 750!

I know that everyone says schools take into account GMAT as one part of the entire applicant's package but geez...

My 680 is feeling pretty worthless at this point.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2008, 14:06
Expert's post
misterJJ2u,

Clearly, the schools are getting more apps then ever and selectivity rates will go down as a result. The applicant pool continues to become more and more competitive, including GMAT scores. My sense, however, is that you are drawing too tight a link between GMAT scores and dings. All things being equal, a school will take the higher GMAT applicant over the lower, but applicants are never equal. You don't know why those high GMAT folks got dinged (unless you've seen their full apps?). Maybe their essays were crap. That's a ding right there, whether you're a 780 or not. A 680 is a good enough score. If your quant and verbal scores or at or near 80th percentile then you should be fine. Since 760s are getting dinged, that suggests that raising it may not do you any real good. I am definitely not seeing any trend toward the GMAT playing a larger role in admissions decisions at the top schools then it has in the past.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553