Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 20:44
Paul,

I would really appreciate an evaluation of my profile:

Program: MBA FT
Area of interest in MBA: Investment Banking / VC
GMAT: 710, Q48 85%, V39 88% AWA: 5.5 (1st attempt)
GPA: 3.2, Finance, Large State School
Work experience(WE): 5, 2.5 IT Consulting, 2.5 Strategic Planning / Corporate Development
Nationality: American
Extra-curriculars/community: Fraternity in College, Middle School Football Coach, Make-A-Wish Volunteer, Adult Literacy YP Board Member, Junior Achievement Volunteer Tutor, YMCA Community Development Board

Education:

I graduated from a large state school, top 50 nationally. I graduated with a degree in Finance with a 3.2 GPA. I participated in several activities including my fraternity and other volunteer work, although minimal.

Work Experience:

I started with a large multi-national IT consulting firm (CGI Group) as a tester and moved to client site as a Business Analyst on a team of 5 where I was the only one supporting a specific client application. I led the client engagement for the software application including supporting 7 different users. I was in charge of all product enhancements and software releases from our client's perspective. I dealt with directly with the vendor and developers to prioritize all defect fixes and new software enhancements for the product. Total WE, 2.5 years.

I then moved to a Fortune 1000 company as a Strategic Planning Analyst, where I have been for 1.5 years. We are an extremely new department as I was the first hire. I report directly to the Senior VP of Strategic Planning and together we complete all corporate M&A and long range strategy planning for the company. I have a lot of responsibility and visibility across the company, including working closely with the CEO and Board of Directors.

Extracurriculars:

Currently, I am on two volunteer boards, one is a young professional board for an adult literacy group and the other is a community development board of the YMCA of Houston. I volunteer about 15 hours a month between the two boards. In addition, I am a volunteer teacher for Junior Achievement and previously I volunteered as a Middle School Football Coach and with the Make-A-Wish foundation.

I am looking to move into Investment Banking as a long term career goal. My target schools right now are Wharton, Chicago GSB, UCLA (Anderson), Kellogg, and Texas. Are there any other schools that you think might be a good fit for me? I have ruled out Columbia and NYU as they will be too expensive to attend for my family and me. Do you think I am a strong enough candidate for my target schools? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 08:38
Expert's post
jb32,

Good profile with strong career progression and impressive community involvement. I think you can be competitive at all the schools you listed. Maybe add MIT Sloan, Haas, and Rochester (safety) to your list. You may want to read Accepted.com's advice for IB applicants.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Director
Director

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 10:44
Thanks Paul, that is good news! One quick question, which application group do I fall into since I am in Strategic Planning? Am I competing directly with the investment banking applicant group or am I different because a large part of my job is corporate development?

Also, is up to me which group I am lumped with as to which half of my job I emphasize more? Do you recommend telling the strategic planning or corporate development story all else being equal?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 20:45
Are corporate development/strategic planning people even necessarily "lumped into groups"? I thought the only people that are lumped into groups are people from IT backgrounds, Consulting, or Investment Banking. I figured that you can easily differentiate people in corp dev/strategic planning based on which industry their role was in.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 07:46
Not sure, that's why I thought I would ask.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 07:33
Expert's post
jb32,

Your career track is not a common one so you won't be lumped into any of the major feeder career tracks, and certainly not the IB one. I think you emphasize strategic planning and corporate development equally since neither is a common applicant pool and emphasizing them equally would be a way of accentuating the relative uniqueness of your career track. It's an asset for you.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog