Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please: 720 GMAT, 3.6 GPA, HBS Legacy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.59
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 5

Profile Evaluation Please: 720 GMAT, 3.6 GPA, HBS Legacy [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Greetings,

I’m looking to start an MBA in 2014. Any ideas which programs I have a shot at?

Target Schools:
- HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Columbia

Here are the key details of my profile:

Canadian/Caucasian Male, 25
Education: Undergraduate from a top business school in Canada
GPA 3.6
GMAT 720 (94%), Q45 (68%) V44 (97%), AWA 6 (90%), IR 8 (92%)
Work Experience:
- 2 years at a no-name asset management firm in buy-side equity research
- 1 year at PricewaterhouseCoopers in audit (co-op term)
Extracurricular:
- Good at University (club presidency, other charity work)
- Great after University (board of directors of a charity helping kids with learning disabilities, scout leader, other stuff)
Other Stuff:
- Diagnosed with the learning disability, Dyslexia
- Legacy Status at HBS (brother went there)

Career Goals: Hedge Funds or Venture Capital with high-tech industry focus

Thank you very much for your advice.

Cheers,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 179

Re: Profile Evaluation Please: 720 GMAT, 3.6 GPA, HBS Legacy [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 05:36
Expert's post
Hey baseishome,

Thanks for reaching out to me. You want to real careful with defining your more immediate goals as VC. It's like telling the admissions committee you are going to hit a grand slam, when perhaps you only need to get on base. Very few applicants land jobs in venture capital, so try to increase your attractiveness (as an applicant) by defining something a little more palatable to a recruiter, and thus the admissions committee. If anyone tells you that VC is a realistic path, turnaround walk in the other direction. Again, the possibility exists, but not the probability. Bro - you want to live in the world of probability.

Look around at the guys and gals who have left your firm and on to get an MBA in and work in finance. What was there immediate role upon graduation? Is there a trend or a tried and true path?
Also, if you want to get into a firm that covers high-tech, is your current buy-side research within tech? That is also something that may be critical to define your goals well.

As far as your short list of schools, Stanford and HBS are worlds apart with respect to culture. Just take a look at their essays - night and day. Your other school choices are fine. If you go outside that list, you may want to take a look at MIT and Yale – even Tuck and NYU. The schools send a significant portion of their graduates back in the finance. I suppose you could consider Haas, but really the finance goals you want to go to are out east, and we are not really in Europe either.

Your quant score concerns me - slightly. Would you be up for re-taking the GMAT and scoring slightly higher on the quant? I know it is bloody hell.

If you would like to discuss your candidacy further during a complimentary consultation, please email me at mba@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

baseishome wrote:
Greetings,

I’m looking to start an MBA in 2014. Any ideas which programs I have a shot at?

Target Schools:
- HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Columbia

Here are the key details of my profile:

Canadian/Caucasian Male, 25
Education: Undergraduate from a top business school in Canada
GPA 3.6
GMAT 720 (94%), Q45 (68%) V44 (97%), AWA 6 (90%), IR 8 (92%)
Work Experience:
- 2 years at a no-name asset management firm in buy-side equity research
- 1 year at PricewaterhouseCoopers in audit (co-op term)
Extracurricular:
- Good at University (club presidency, other charity work)
- Great after University (board of directors of a charity helping kids with learning disabilities, scout leader, other stuff)
Other Stuff:
- Diagnosed with the learning disability, Dyslexia
- Legacy Status at HBS (brother went there)

Career Goals: Hedge Funds or Venture Capital with high-tech industry focus

Thank you very much for your advice.

Cheers,

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton